Author Topic: Insecticide  (Read 2779 times)

outdoorgirl

• Not So New ...
Insecticide
« on: June 30, 2009, 14:30:02 »
Help!! 

For an assignment I am writing on pests and diseases I have to find a plant which is infested and spray with insecticide. I then have to spray another plant (same kind) with an overdose (x10) and a further plant with the insecticide highly watered down. I then have to record the results. I have found some roses in my garden that have greenfly (surprise surprise!!) but I can't bare to use insecticide in my garden  :-\
I could predict the results but wondered if any knowledgeable gardener could confirm what would happen to the plants and the insects.I would be most grateful and it would save me carrying out this experiment

Thanks x  ;)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Insecticide
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 14:44:24 »
what you'd *probably* find is that at the right dose the pests are killed pretty quickly, with the dilute spray only a few are killed or none at all, and at the high dose, they're killed and you also damage the leaves (especially if you spray in bright sunshine) But you should try it for real. Can't you find some weed with bugs on, like blackfly on  an elderberry perhaps.....Almost everything in our garden is being got at just now

also, you shouldn't bare to use insecticide, quite the opposite in fact

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 15:21:16 »
You should also consider that what you want to do is putting you and your teachers at odds with laws regarding health & safety + the misuse of pesticides. Stop being a plonker.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 15:27:52 »

also, you shouldn't bare to use insecticide, quite the opposite in fact

Except for ants in the pants, when it would be apposite rather than opposite

outdoorgirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 17:40:32 »
Thanks for your sensible reply Rhubarb Thrasher (unlike Eristic - don't you think in this day and age every piece of course work is checked over and safety guidelines are issued to ensure you are protected? )
Anyway I agree with your thoughts Rhubarb, the leaves would be damaged - maybe shrivel up and turn crispy?
But thanks again for replying, you have been a big help :D
I will hunt round the garden for some weeds and give it a go!

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 17:46:42 »
sometimes even when used correctly - at the right dose, insecticides can cause some damage, so it's best to try them on a small part of the plant first. Hardly use it at all, and certainly don't bother on roses

outdoorgirl

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 17:49:49 »
Why not bother about Roses?

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 17:55:59 »
actually most of our roses are climbers, so it would be too difficult anyway. I might spray growing shoots with water to knock them off if there's a lot of them

PS don't worry about Eristic - he's never been the same since they put fluoride in the water  ;D

Sorry everybody, it's the heat got to me

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 19:19:23 »
Number one - do not falsify your results.  Your assessors will know what they should be and you will get caught out.
Number two - do include your prediction - it's your hypothesis and is good practise.  Give reasons why you think what you do.
Number three (and the most important) - test your hypothesis by carrying out your experiment for real.  Find someone who has got a plant you dare use - something that is easily replaceable.

Number four - don't cheat.  It is a waste of your time.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 20:56:59 »
Number one - do not falsify your results.  Your assessors will know what they should be and you will get caught out.
Number two - do include your prediction - it's your hypothesis and is good practise.  Give reasons why you think what you do.
Number three (and the most important) - test your hypothesis by carrying out your experiment for real.  Find someone who has got a plant you dare use - something that is easily replaceable.

Number four - don't cheat.  It is a waste of your time.

Well said that teacher!!  ;)
You couldn't make it up!

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 22:44:05 »
PS don't worry about Eristic - he's never been the same since they put fluoride in the water

But I never drink water unless it's diluted with lager.  :P

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal