Author Topic: my swede has gone to seed  (Read 8995 times)

staris

• Acre
my swede has gone to seed
« on: June 27, 2009, 20:19:52 »
my swede which was planted in march has all gone to seed, for some reason since i planted it it's grown really fast and they are a good size, i planted them a bit close together could this be the reason why.
i pulled one today and cut it open and it looks ok inside ,should they still be ok to eat and what should i do with them now.....pull them all up and freeze them maybe ?

« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 20:31:23 by staris »

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: my swede has gone to seed
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 20:57:26 »
A very early crop of swedes.  What variety did you sow?  I have never had swede to harvest this early. If they are going to seed but ready to harvest then I would pull them up.  They will store in boxes of sharpsand unless you have a massive freezer 8) 8)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

staris

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 21:29:18 »
i bought them as plug plants from my local garden centre i can't remember the variety, they have pretty much all gone to seed.
i've got a chest freezer so i could freeze some, if i store some in sand how long will they keep?  :)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 22:11:41 »
if i store some in sand how long will they keep?  :)
In colder autumn winter months they would keep for 4-5 months.  During summer,  maybe 3 months but I am not sure as I have hardly stored veg during summer months
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 08:51:01 »
Its far too early for swedes, they should be sown May/July, mine went in 2nd week in June, so I suspect the hot weather has made them bolt.  ???        ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

labrat

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 09:11:12 »
Its far too early for swedes, they should be sown May/July, mine went in 2nd week in June, so I suspect the hot weather has made them bolt.  ???        ;D ;D ;D

For the South. Up in the North of Scotland I sowed mine over 2 months ago and they will be ready for late autumn, winter. Currently a bit smaller than a golf ball.

staris

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 17:49:13 »
do you think i've still got time to sow some more  :)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 18:07:04 »
hope so, i've just sowed some best of all  ;D

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 18:27:21 »
My seed have only just about gone to Swede. Sowed them a month ago and they're just past the seedling stage now.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 18:28:12 »
Staris I've also sowed best of all from Wilko's, the packet say's sow from March until July and harvest from Oct until March, so you've got plenty of time. The ones you have in your picture look fine and should be OK to eat, I would snap the bit off thats gone to seed and leave in the ground, but I can't see that they've gone to seed in your piccie.     :-\      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 18:33:27 »
I still there is plenty of time to get them in, with regard to the ones that gone to seed i have to ask if you watered them regularly as i have found that if they dont get a regular watering when planted early they do tend to go to seed.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

staris

• Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 18:57:05 »
they have definatly gone to seed you just can't see it very well in the picture, i might leave a few in the ground as cornykev has suggested and see what they are like, i didn't water them hardly at all when i planted them so maybe thats the problem with them , they were also planted a bit close together.
i've got plenty space left to i will plant a few more as well  :)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 19:52:26 »
If you have had em in since March then some will go to seed. It is a sign that you should dig up the rest.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal