Author Topic: Strawberry Jam  (Read 1701 times)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Strawberry Jam
« on: June 18, 2009, 19:45:21 »
I want to keep aside the strawberries Im picking each day to make jam. Problem is that I dont think they will keep for long enough while I wait for enough to ripen. Can I freeze some as I pick till I have enough to cook?

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Re: Strawberry Jam
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 20:10:05 »
oh and one other question. I was just looking up jam recipes, ans one said that it keeps for about a week. I thought jam kept for a few months?  ???

realfood

• Hectare
    • Grow Your Own Fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 20:50:16 »
I freeze all my "seconds" of strawberries for jam until I have enough towards the end of the season to make jam.
There are recipes for "freezer jam" which will only keep for a few weeks in a fridge. See certo jam recipes.
For a quick guide for the Growing, Storing and Cooking of your own Fruit and Vegetables, go to www.growyourown.info

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 13:21:52 »
I want to keep aside the strawberries Im picking each day to make jam. Problem is that I dont think they will keep for long enough while I wait for enough to ripen. Can I freeze some as I pick till I have enough to cook?
To speed things along, ripen green strawberries by placing them on an egg tray in the conservatory or on a windowsill.  They are usually red and ready for use within 24 hours.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 14:34:56 »
Yup, I freeze fruit to make jam later on in the year as we do not like it that much I think it has a better flavour freshly made and sometimes we do have a fad for it.

I find that if I freeze the fruit and decide to make something else like an apple and strawberry pie when the apples are ready or I can do a puree to make sorbet or cheesecake.

Just made a nice jam today mixing half strawberry and half red currants.

250 gram strawberry
250 gram red currants
500 gram sugar

heat the strawberries and currants with half a mug of water for 5 minutes  using a large pyrex bowl in the microwave and then stir in the sugar, bit by bit to make sure it has all dissolved. Microwave again for 16 minutes on full power. 650Wat microwave.

Made just over two jam jars full.

It is slightly warm still but has set.

The bowl just rinses out too

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 14:37:56 »
I have had trouble with making strawberry jam in the past but think adding the redcurrants is brilliant as it sets so easily and uses up a few of the surplus of redcurrants.  Haven't tried the microwave method yet but might save me cleaning the top of the cooker when it boils over.  Must get a bigger saucepan.  ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal