Author Topic: cucumbers  (Read 19195 times)

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: cucumbers
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 16:12:19 »
Logical, TG - but it's so strange that one can get 6 such, over perhaps 12-18" with, apparently, a sympathetic water/feed regime.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 18:29:52 »
I'm not sure Tim! but  I will tell you what I have noticed over the years!

OK it applies to flowers Roses and Dahlias in particular!

When I was showing I noticed that sometimes my dahlias had a hard daisy eye or some of my roses never opened fully.

I thought long and hard about this and came up with the following conclusion;

The plants must have stopped growing for a short time ???  Why??

On looking further; I found that it tended to occur when there was a sudden drop in temperature.

We know that within the calyx of a flower all the petals have formed from the outset and are miniscule. We also know that after the calyx bursts we will find that these petals are quite silky to touch, in fact if it were a machine, we would say they were well oiled.

Then we get the drop in temperature I mentioned!!

Voila! the petals stop opening,and this is where I think the problem occurs, particularly if there is a drying wind.

The petals 'dry out' causing them to stick together (in roses this is called balling, and in Dahlias it is known as Daisy eye) and thats it!!  the flowers just won't open fully.

Where the calyx has not burst when this temperature drop took place these flower heads carry on to open natuarally!

Could similar thing be happening with the cucumber flowers we have been discussing? meaning;  full pollination can't take place?.......i.e. the calyx broke when the temperature dropped ???

Another bit of 'useless' information I noticed during these studies;

Have you ever noticed that when a flower opens it is sometimes peppered with holes?

We all tend to jump to the conclusion that earwigs, slugs/snails and caterpillars have had a right go at them :( and you look all over for the culprit and can't find it/them  ???

Let me fill you in;

The culprit left some days ago!!

Here's what I think happens;

As I mentioned above all the miniscule petals are preformed in the calyx the earwig,slug/snail,caterpillar takes a bite out of the calyx!!

OK the hole is very small but so are the petals within the calyx and what has happened is; the earwig,slug/snail,caterpillar took a bite out of dozens of petals at the same time.

Then when the flower opens and the petals enlarge so does the hole/s in them :o

so what we have witnessed is;  Insect Origami

Now you know what I do with some of my time now that I am retired  8)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 18:39:53 »
Thankfully, TG,  I too am retired - for the 2nd time - so have time to absorb your wisdom.

Yes - but 'tis a b****r! All the TLC in the world & then the elements step in?

Must do more recording of these fluctuations to see if I can establish a relationship.

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 17:46:39 »
I am growing Mini Munch for the first time - and have noticed that there are about 5 or 6 fruits at each stem junction - should I let all of these come to fruit, or get rid of a couple to allow the other fruits to swell?  I haven't nipped out side shoots before, but it looks as if these will also be heavy with fruit - should I nip these too?

Meg

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 18:17:11 »
Let 'em be!!

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 18:27:30 »
Let 'em be!!

OK - will leave them alone - will probably be eating cucumbers for breakfast, lunch and dinner  ;D - nice complaint though isn't it.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 18:41:27 »
Pick the fruits when 8cm (3in) long or leave them to mature into full-size, small cucumbers! Either way, Mini Munch is delicious, thin-skinned and very heavy cropping - expect up to 20 fruits per week per plant!

meg_gordon

• Half Acre
  • Ayr
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 19:10:05 »
Pick the fruits when 8cm (3in) long or leave them to mature into full-size, small cucumbers! Either way, Mini Munch is delicious, thin-skinned and very heavy cropping - expect up to 20 fruits per week per plant!

Just went back and read the empty seed packet Tim - and you are spot on - so as I said, think I am going to be eating a lot of cukes, just as well I like them:-)

Meg

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 09:27:39 »
My cucumbers seem to be wilting, is that due to the heat and if so what can I do to stop it?

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 10:20:24 »
If sudden, usually.

Shade & ensure well moistened - not soggy, If heat, they can revive within minutes.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 12:39:49 »
Lucky devils with lots of cues.
My plants are not even getting up to speed yet.
They are only six inches long and no sign of flowers yet.
Possibly late season variety.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 15:23:41 »
 ;D
sorry to be smug but I'm excited

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 15:35:15 »
I know just how you feel

[attachment=1]
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 18:39:37 »
My cucumbers seem to be wilting, is that due to the heat and if so what can I do to stop it?

In this heat wave they do tend to wilt a bit even in nicely moist soil-my theory is that they cannot take up water as fast as they are losing it so shut down for a while.

If the leaves do nor perk up a bit later on in the evening is the time to worry 

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 18:57:51 »
we have pieces of pipe buried next to ours, we're filling them every 2 days at the moment  :)

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2009, 19:05:11 »
Which reminds me, Mick - indoors or out?

Grow Bags or soil??

staris

• Acre
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2009, 20:00:44 »
one of mine has wilted at the top it just looks like lack of water but it's still moist at the base, it's been about 38c in the polytunnel today so maybe it's just the heat.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2009, 20:46:14 »
Moist - or wet?? Latter can be a problem.

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2009, 22:55:16 »
Mine are in very large pots in the ground Tim, I bought a large spray bottle and misted them today plus poured lots of water onto the ground today and my wife nipped up about an hour ago to shut the doors and she said they'd picked up.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2009, 23:47:53 »
I'm trying mine in medium sized pots this year, sitting in a large tray and watering from below. Seems to be working well so far, mini cukes picked today, proper sized ones about 2/3rds grown and won't be long now..... ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal