Author Topic: Local Farmer Created Veg Plots  (Read 2671 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Local Farmer Created Veg Plots
« on: April 21, 2009, 08:37:16 »
We do not have any local authority allotments available.  They have a few about 15 miles away.  A local farmer decided to take the plunge and has created about 30-40 new spaces.  They are currently breeding fast, and people using the footpath along the edge get enthusiastic when they see people in action.

The rules are slightly different, we are not allowed sheds or livestock and the plots are not standard sizes.  But it it in a lovely spot and there is almost unlimited well rotted manure available. 

The age range of plot holders is very varied.  Youngest in his teens, oldest, can't ask, and there are lots of families. 

I hope the project proves successful, and other people with some land are encouraged to give it a try.

Local authority say they are going to create some allotments, but they have been saying this for years so I would not hold my breath. 

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: Local Farmer Created Veg Plots
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 22:27:23 »
Compared to what farmers are paid for some produce I suspect they can earn a better keep from letting bits of land this way.  It is easy money for him,  he does not have to work the land and people get to have their own little allotment plot.  Its a win win situation all round that benefits the community.  Good on him for giving it a go.  Just don't let the council fob you off.  The farmer has provided the plots not the council... they are still obliged so keep badgering them. 

Did it go in your local paper?  Would make a good story. ;)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

little pud

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 22:31:40 »
could do with a farmer here in milton keynes that would do it, b4 all the land is turned into roundabouts,  ;D

Salkeela

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 09:43:54 »
Compared to what farmers are paid for some produce I suspect they can earn a better keep from letting bits of land this way.  It is easy money for him,  he does not have to work the land and people get to have their own little allotment plot.  Its a win win situation all round that benefits the community.  Good on him for giving it a go.  Just don't let the council fob you off.  The farmer has provided the plots not the council... they are still obliged so keep badgering them. 

Did it go in your local paper?  Would make a good story. ;)

I wish it were.  I'm a landowner who is trying to set up private allotments for some new and enthusiastic growers.  I don't anticipate breaking even for quite some time.  Nor do I think this will be essentially profitable.  I wish it could be profitable, but to be so I would have to charge "though the nose" I think..... 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:48:13 by Salkeela »

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 14:37:41 »
What ktlawson said.  Farmer's going to be lucky to make £150/acre profit from agriculture - much less in a poor market, but he could let the land to an allotment association at £200/acre.  Even with paths and stuff, that's only £1.60/pole, so there's plenty of room for the association to charge on top of that for maintenance and site improvements.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

BrianK

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 20:46:45 »
if it was registered with HFW on his landshare scheme you could all get on TV    what a ride  lol

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal