Author Topic: Scortching weather on the way YIPHEEEEEEEEEEEEE  (Read 13390 times)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
Re: Scortching weather on the way YIPHEEEEEEEEEEEEE
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2009, 00:06:53 »
I agree with N8R we need the rain our my spuds are not going to be very big.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2009, 08:22:34 »
We are lucky we have had some amazing storms this week, several downpours.  So sun will be great for tomatoes. 

I am an early bird and will go to allotment early.  In evening too much pressure on one source of water.  Several taps but only one feed, so if 40 allotment holders all watering there will be a major problem.

I burn too.  If the temperature goes above 30 (and I do not mean in the shade) I start to feel awful.  But I do love breakfast in the garden.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2009, 08:40:41 »
We went to the plot just before 7am today as it hadn't rained over night. It's less than 2 miles away & it had poured down so we got some potatoes & came home.

Flighty

• Hectare
    • Flighty's Plot
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2009, 08:49:54 »
I'm another one who doesn't like it when the temperature goes above the low 20s C!
As well as the heat, and humidity that usually goes with it,  another problem here in London is that air pollution levels go sky high.
Flighty's plot,  http://flightplot.wordpress.com,  is my blog.

I support the Gardening with Disabilities Trust, http://www.gardeningwithdisabilitiestrust.org.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2009, 09:07:34 »
Can hardly breathe this morning its so humid.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2009, 09:16:09 »
as the title says :)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090627/tuk-alert-as-temperatures-set-to-soar-6323e80.html
yyiipppeeeee yip yip yip!!! i for one am pleased,as someone else said,it wont last for ever,good to see folk out enjoying it. we will be getting the sun longers out up the lottie when the day is at its hottest,going under the trees when we need to cool off
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Benson

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2009, 09:54:24 »
hello think of me here in Northern Italy,  its been 30-35 for weeks now, have had storms most days but unfortunately all my pots still need watering, but I have a glut of cucumbers already, and my cherry tomatoes, peppers and chillies are well on their way. Have really enjoyed growing this lot from seed, obviously the climate has helped, but its wilts often withing an hour of watering!!!

My dad has been over from UK and was very jealous!!
Enjoy the weather guys, I am just trying to mow the grass, slowly slowly.....

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2009, 10:20:14 »
WOW what a mixed bunch of opinions and for so many dofferent reasons.

Benson you lucky devil would loooooooove to live in Italy, the weather for growing would obviously be great but also being a bit of a budding Jamie Oliver the food mmmmmmmmmmmmm Im salavating just thinking about it!

Watering seems to be quite a big proble on the traditional lottie site in hot weather, my new site has no water supplied at all yet, and I dont know how long it will be before it has any its all subject to getting fundoing from my lovely council to have a supply fitted, so for now my plan is to sweet talk 1 of the neighbouring houses into letting me hook up a hose pipe to their supply.

We also have oil fired central heating here and our oil tank is going to be replaced in a few weeks, so I want to try and find a detergant to clean out the old one properly so I can use it as a huge water butt its 2500 litres so that should cure the problem for a while (hopefully!!)

Anyway as I said before enjoy it (if it arrives at all lol)

Follow My Allotment Journey http://www.PembrokeshireAllotment.Com

Benson

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2009, 10:27:26 »
must admit I am very partial to parma ham, mozarella with basil, have got 6 bushy basil plants on my windowsill..........
Am currently swealtering mowing the lawn its over 30 at 11.30!!! Husband is away and although my Italian nieghbour helped me shovel my driveway when we had 3ft snow I dont think even he is up to mowing my lawn....
Oh well back to it!

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2009, 12:19:33 »
must admit I am very partial to parma ham, mozarella with basil, have got 6 bushy basil plants on my windowsill..........
Am currently swealtering mowing the lawn its over 30 at 11.30!!! Husband is away and although my Italian nieghbour helped me shovel my driveway when we had 3ft snow I dont think even he is up to mowing my lawn....
Oh well back to it!

Crikey its a hard life isn't it :)

I LOVE basil absolutely adore it but had no luck with it this year at all :( Its usually so easy to grow but everything I have germinated this year as soon as its planted out it wilts and dies on me, still the corriander, mint and dill are doing very well so not a complete failure lol.

Benson

• Not So New ...
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2009, 12:40:29 »
My mint is not doing well, and I would have to buy corriander seed and start from scratch, cant get it in the supermarkets, but can in the local Indian Supermarket. I am going to buy some seed when we visit uk in a few weeks.
Basil defo likes the mediteranean climate, warm with a good soaking.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2009, 13:39:37 »

What Grass!!!! i don't have any it's the dried up brown dusty stuff. I haven't had enough lawn mowings this year to mulch my raspberries!

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2009, 13:52:44 »

What Grass!!!! i don't have any it's the dried up brown dusty stuff. I haven't had enough lawn mowings this year to mulch my raspberries!

Crikey I wish!!!

My grass is driving me potty, we have quite big gardens at home and I seem to spend my life cutting the dam things, seriously I will mow the back garden later today it will need doing again come Wednesday morning its an absolute pain!!!!

I can send you a few ton of my clippings if you want :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2009, 16:55:04 »
Love it when the Suns out,  8)  poured down here yesterday after a lovely morning. The same is going to happen today by the looks of it.      :-\      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2009, 17:06:14 »
as the title says :)

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20090627/tuk-alert-as-temperatures-set-to-soar-6323e80.html
yyiipppeeeee yip yip yip!!! i for one am pleased,as someone else said,it wont last for ever,good to see folk out enjoying it. we will be getting the sun longers out up the lottie when the day is at its hottest,going under the trees when we need to cool off

Sun longers??...are they like loungers but bigger ;) ;D ;D
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2009, 17:09:12 »
The hot weather will be bringing thunderstorms so at least thats one good thing.

My smaller greenhouse was 46c this afto.....far too hot and thats with the roof light open,the door open and window vents too.Luckily no toms in that one,only chillies.

The bigger greenhouse with the toms is well shaded....and it needs to be!
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2009, 18:55:17 »
Fork I think these new sun longers are just a bit more comfie, so that you can lay on them a bit  Longer.    :-X        ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2009, 19:54:46 »
There was a moment this afternoon when I thought I might have to build a raft !.

There's nobody worse than gardeners for moaning about the weather, if it's not a steady 19 degrees with a light breeze followed by a night of rain we're not happy !.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2009, 20:43:28 »
I spent 15 mins yesterday evening just watching the rain fall.....my youngest son joined me...we watched how it made the colours richer and smelt the lovely cool moisture.

There is nothing more relaxing than being in a caravan next to a river, laying naked on top of the covers with all the windows open listening to the rain on the awning roof. The flash of light, the distant rolling rumble of thunder, the cool breeze gently wafting it's cool fresh smell all over your body as the rain beats down.

So relaxing in fact that you fall asleep after 10 minutes and wake up half hour after it's stopped freezing your n*ts off...
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2009, 20:48:34 »
Ower Tone say's its the lightening you should be scared of not the bloomin thunder. 

This is something I've been trying to get my wife to understand for 30 years. When you hear the thunder, the bit that can hurt you has already been and gone.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal