Author Topic: Riddling soil  (Read 3782 times)

Them be Plants

• Not So New ...
Riddling soil
« on: July 03, 2009, 21:01:40 »
I hope thats the right word.

I have been riddling ( still hoping ) the top soil in my vegetable beds and wondered if anyone had found easier less arm shaking ways to do it.

Thanks Pete

Al37

• Half Acre
Re: Riddling soil
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 21:05:56 »
Hi Pete,
I made a big riddle to go over the barrow then sort of push the soil back and forth over the riddle, I always wear gloves when doing it.
It takes a lot of the back ache out of it.
Al

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 06:43:01 »
Manual effort is unavoidable I'd say, but I have made it easier for myself using this 2-stage soil grader.

First I shovel the big bits onto the coarse grader, which is a steel door grating. I smack the bits through with the shovel. I then put the fine grader in (it fits inside the coarse section) where it slides back and forth. Shovel the coarse graded stuff in and mix with seaweed or compost. I get a very fine result.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 06:51:01 by Bjerreby »

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 06:45:59 »
Aha, my favourite riddle...

Q. When is a riddle not a riddle?

A. When it's a sieve...

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 07:49:37 »
I used a plastic bread tray(bakers use) ontop of a wheelborrow, it has holes approx 1"-1.5" and ideal for collecting large clay/stones and general rubbish then a left over piece of mesh with holes approx 1/2".

The only thing with using the bread tray is it's not very strong for breaking clay soil, but is light for moving about. I will at some point make a proper frame to make life easier.

Bjerreby
Great use of a gratting, i'll have to try and find some of that.

Neil

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 08:09:04 »
Originally posted in February 2004
How I made a large riddle to sieve lots of soil.

All measurements are in Imperial because I have not yet mastered metric. And they are approximate since I used what was at hand.
Using 1.5 in by 1in roofing lath timber I constructed a rectangle of 5 feet by 3 feet. The corners were butt jointed and strengthened with corner brackets. (This size was made because that was the size of piece of chicken wire I had available.)
I stapled a sheet of 1/2 in chicken wire stretched tightly to the frame. To give more stability and to stop the mesh sagging I also stretched straining wire every foot across and down, woven through the mesh.
Then I fastened legs of same size timber to the top of the frame so that it sloped about 60 degrees. (Need to experiment to find best angle). When in use I also used a couple of tent pegs to stop the frame moving backwards when soil was thrown at it.
Dry (and it needs to be dry) soil is thrown (not too hard) at the top third of the frame. As it trickles down larger than wanted pieces stay on one side and smaller pieces go through.
If you wanted a more robust and longer lasting gadget than you could use the wire mesh sold for outside aviaries.
The angle of the legs should be such that the soil trickles down and breaks up as it goes, too shallow and it sticks, too steep and it falls off.
This does not work on wet or clay soil. Sorry, but then neither does the old fashioned garden sieve. Either way it is stii hard work, But at least you do not have the weight of the soil to lift as in a conventional system.
Now watch the experts come up with a better idea.
Photos not available, this film was lost be developers, before digtal too.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Them be Plants

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 20:10:17 »
Thanks everyone just what I was looking for.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal