Author Topic: Strawberries in growbags - then what?  (Read 1240 times)

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Strawberries in growbags - then what?
« on: June 27, 2009, 11:38:50 »
My neighbour has some strawberry plants in a growbag - they are producing a lovely crop of large tasty berries. We live in a block of flats with a roof terrace - so no garden. What should she do with her plants when they've stopped fruiting? Can they stay in the growbag if she feeds them next spring? Move to pots? All ideas warmly welcomed! Many thanks.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Re: Strawberries in growbags - then what?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 23:44:01 »
Don't see why they couldn't stay in the growbag, the only thing stopping that may be that any rooted runners would overcrowd it a bit.
Pots are fine if they're big enough but don't see the point of moving them into small pots, if that was the thought.
Also, it wouldnt hurt to feed them now - normally the leaves on mine are sheared back after fruiting to tidy them up (but be careful not to chop the crowns, just cut the leaves) so trim the leaves and then give them a good feed and water so they produce some nice leafy growth before winter sets in. I shouldn't think they'd freeze solid on a roof terrace, but mind they don't get too waterlogged or too dry over winter.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 09:00:49 »
Many thanks jennym thats very helpful.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 09:04:53 »
They'll be fine - I've done 2 seasons in growbags before planting them out but... The plastic will photodegrade & fall apart when she moves them. I would put them into big pots this autumn, they'll look much better & be more manageable next year.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal