Author Topic: Pruning a Laurocerasus  (Read 1369 times)

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
Pruning a Laurocerasus
« on: July 01, 2009, 14:24:41 »
When's the best time ?

Being a Prunus, shouldn't they be done during the summer ? But as its new leaves are out and look all fresh and glossy, I don't really want to do it now.
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: Pruning a Laurocerasus
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 00:26:29 »
Cherry Laurels can be pruned spring, summer or autumn.  Radical pruning (i.e. cutting into fairly old hardwood) is best done in spring or autumn, but lighter pruning in summer is ok - I`ve just done 30 yards of hedge this week.  If you are concerned about appearance do not use  hedge clippers or electric hedge cutter, which will result in a lot of cut leaves dying off, but use secateurs to. cut each shoot back to just above a leaf axyl

Baaaaaaaa

• Acre
  • Life's a treat for those who bleat.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 16:35:45 »
Cutting back  to just above a leaf may be the correct method, but I would then be charging £10-£20 per metre of hedge. I don't think my client would be very happy at that.  :(
Maximus, Procerus, Vegetus

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 17:44:13 »
Then you have a choice of not doing it at all, or using clippers and leaving a lot of dying brown chopped leaves, and the hedge looking a mess. Perhaps it would be wiser to inform your client of your difficulty and let him decide whether he wants it trimmed in the circumstances..

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 20:25:06 »
Then you have a choice of not doing it at all, or using clippers and leaving a lot of dying brown chopped leaves, and the hedge looking a mess. Perhaps it would be wiser to inform your client of your difficulty and let him decide whether he wants it trimmed in the circumstances..

Agree!  8)

Tell your Client as per the facts as detailed by Keps, above, and let him/her decide how deep their pockets are.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal