Author Topic: Michael Jackson has died  (Read 8292 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: Michael Jackson has died
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 21:38:08 »
I was shocked and saddened when I heard the news this morning.  Michael was born in the same year as me and I was enthralled by his talent when he first came to my notice with the Jackson Five.  He was one of very few pop stars whose picture I had on on my bedroom wall - most were of George Best!  'Ben' still makes me cry every time I hear it and I just love 'I Want You Back'. I remember very clearly where I was the day the Thriller video was released - and yes, I was one of the (65 million is it?) people who bought the album.  RIP, Michael, the music world is diminished by your untimely death. 

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 22:10:42 »
Well said G :)

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 22:23:39 »
Well said G :)

Very well said.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 22:25:36 »
Couldn't have said it better Georgie.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2009, 00:58:08 »
A sad end to his life that was played out in public from 5 years old, with a nasty father !
How many of us woud remain 'normal' if put under that pressure for 45 years ??
He was trying to have the child hood he had lost and i think no child should be allowed to ever be put in that position again!
I won dance competitions to his music and he will live on in the music he left behind.
I loathed elvis and what he became but never slagged him of before he was even in his grave !
If you where not there to wittness the alleged incidents you have no right passing coment on it, if you where there speak up !
RIP Michael may angels watch over you.

carrot-cruncher

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2009, 09:45:58 »
Loved his music

Hated all the hype

CC
"Grow you bugger, grow!!"

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2009, 10:07:36 »
Time for the world to move on.  Never a fan and not particuarly bothered and all this Lady Di type grief is getting on my nerves.

For the record, Syd Barrett was more of a loss for me.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2009, 17:58:03 »
A lot of people bought Thriller, and the music video was pretty good, but was it that significant musically?  Significant like Bat out of Hell or Sergeant Pepper or Dark Side of the Moon?  In the days when he was black, was he as important musically as Jimi Hendrix, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Tina Turner, Barry White, Diana Ross, Aretha Franklin, Muddy Waters?  As a pop phenomenon of the eighties was he as significant as Wham, Duran Duran, The Jam, U2?

He was red-top drama-fodder, slightly less anoying than Jimmy Osmond, slightly less strange than Howard Hughes, and a fair bit more talented than Jade Goody.  And now he's dead.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2009, 19:09:06 »
BAT OUT OF HELL ?????   :o :o :o

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2009, 19:19:33 »
BAT OUT OF HELL ?????   :o :o :o

I saw that too! I think he meant Blonde on Blonde!

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2009, 19:36:03 »
1st thought when I heard yesterday was , just as well because he cannot handle his life and is now in peace. loved his music but cannot stand all this "over emoting" (if this isn't a word ,it should be)all these fan(atics) wallowing in grief just disgust me.
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2009, 19:44:34 »
I hear they're going to recycle his body into carrier bags.... so he'll still be white, plastic and a danger to small children.

SamLouise

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2009, 19:56:03 »
Uh oh, I'm off to get my tin hat and sand bags ...

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2009, 21:29:54 »
I hear they're going to recycle his body into carrier bags.... so he'll still be white, plastic and a danger to small children.

It must take a certain type person to come up with a line like that, shame there is no emicon with an arsehole on.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2009, 21:50:12 »
now we're going to have a summer of Michael Jackson songs on the radio, just like when Elvis died ( I mean with Elvis songs). That Godawful song "Way Down" was just slipping into oblivion - talk about a cardboard tombstone - then you couldn't go anywhere without hearing it
Either that or Exodus (movement of Jah people), which with all respect to Bob Marley, was also cr@p

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2009, 22:08:20 »
now we're going to have a summer of Michael Jackson songs on the radio, just like when Elvis died ( I mean with Elvis songs).
the beauty of Radio 4 !! ;)
You couldn't make it up!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2009, 22:32:23 »
It's a recycled joke that's been around for years Mick...

"What's the difference between Michael Jackson and a carrier bag...
Nothing they are both plastic and dangerous to small children"

I personally like "goulish humour" aka "Joy Division, Isn't she dead?" after the suicide of Ian Curtis. Or "What used to come in little yellow bags" after the shooting of John Lennon.

I still think M Jackson was a great performer and artist, I didn't like his stuff but he was great at it. It's a sad loss as I said much earlier in this thread. Humour, however sick/depraved/unpleasant is one way people address mortality...

:-\

jonny211

• Acre
« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2009, 22:42:15 »

It must take a certain type person to come up with a line like that, shame there is no emicon with an arsehole on.

Whoa steady on mate, just a joke.

but if you want to be like that... don't search for an emicon - just post your avatar, there's one there.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 22:48:16 by jonny211 »

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: June 28, 2009, 22:48:32 »
I think in this case John you may have deserved it.

I never have been a fan of sick jokes.I take death seriously.

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2009, 22:50:34 »
and the possibility of of a surge of MJ impersonators now is much greater than with Elvis. There's an internet thing that by 2012 one third of the world's population will be Elvis impersonators. This is a wilful misinterpretation of " exponential growth". Highest estimate is 100 million, but probably closer to 1 million

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal