Author Topic: Rules & Regs  (Read 5183 times)

sally james

• Not So New ...
Rules & Regs
« on: June 02, 2009, 12:27:23 »
We are about to vote on a new set of rules and regs, all 17 pages with references to acse as well. the committee who has decided this thinks it is all right to have at least four inspections of each plot, 1. being a weed petrol by four plot holders. Who else thinks this is over the top for an allotment that has run for 50 odd years without trouble. The inmates a running the asylum I think . You thoughts would be welcome
Sally

Old bird

• Hectare
Re: Rules & Regs
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 12:43:19 »
Hi Sally!

Yes it does sound pretty much over the top - but maybe - and I don't know how tidy your site is - it is "the committee" trying to get rid of people who are not using their sites, looking after them properly - to allow others new keen allotmenteers to get in!

Sometimes you need to be a bit straight talking and strict - to achieve a harmonious end result!  Some people - when they know that a plot inspection is imminent - will turn over a small patch of ground and make it look like it is a work in progress and then leave it for the rest of the year.  So possibly it is a way of re-invigorating a site?

Sounds weird - but maybe worth watching to see how it shakes out - may be to everyone's advantage in the end!!!

Let us know anyway!

Old Bird

;D

JayGee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 13:10:43 »
We have a simlar process at our self-managed allotment site.  Obviously depending on how it is carried out, it can be a good thing.  Allotment rents are fairly cheap and it's easy for people not to bother with their plot but then they dont want to give it up either.  Cheap rents mean there is no financial incentive for people to give them up if things get on top of them or they cant be bothered one year.  Also, if the majority of an allotment site isnt being tended and plots seem to be vacant then it's much easier for councils to take the land back or for developers to move in.  Our waiting list is a number of years long and it's not fair on those waiting for plots if a minority of people just can't be bothered.  I (reluctantly) am a member of the inspection group and we always do this as sensitively as we can.  People (especially the older members) didnt (and possibly still do not) like it but I think they have realised that it is necessary. 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 13:15:14 »
Some people - when they know that a plot inspection is imminent - will turn over a small patch of ground and make it look like it is a work in progress and then leave it for the rest of the year.  So possibly it is a way of re-invigorating a site?

I think Old Bird has highlighted 1 of the reasons why more regular inspections could be beneficial. I think there are lots of sites that suffer this, and the results in the end may be worth the initial hassle. I think our site does 2 / 3 inspections a year, but think more would keep some people on their toes !!

sally james

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 13:45:06 »
Thanks for the replay's to my questions, I can see the advantage to some weed inspections, but it s a shame that the committee has a few plot holders they dislike so a few knifes will be out while a lot gets away with out even digging their plots let alone planting any crops, with the hon. treasurer and hon. sec. having 3 plots and vice char, two plots with not a thing planted!!!!    But we'LL see what will turn out.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 14:43:20 »
If it was up to me(a big if) I would suggest that the people with unkempt allotments should have to give up half to someone on the waiting list, which is growing all the time. We have quite a few plots on our site where only half the land is being used.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 15:08:28 »
This may just work in your favour as committee members have to abide by any rules set too.
You may just see their plots being planted up and if they aren't you then have 'official' come back.  ;)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 16:54:54 »
Our committee has always done a walk round once a month. If there are problems they have a word with the plotholder, if unresolved a first letter and so on.

Where they have become much stricter is in relation to subscriptions with a new rule that if you haven't paid the sub by the AGM (beginning of Feb), you're out.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 17:12:01 »
Thanks for the replay's to my questions, I can see the advantage to some weed inspections, but it s a shame that the committee has a few plot holders they dislike so a few knifes will be out while a lot gets away with out even digging their plots let alone planting any crops, with the hon. treasurer and hon. sec. having 3 plots and vice char, two plots with not a thing planted!!!!    But we'LL see what will turn out.

Oh dear! You know that if you can't beat 'em you will / might need to join 'em  ::)

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 21:33:22 »

I've experienced that one as well. The solution if they've made themselves unpopular (and that sort often do) is to wait till they come up for re-election and get someone to stand against them.

electric landlady

• Half Acre
  • digging, digging, digging (in Nottingham)
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 20:28:00 »
Our committee does a walk-round inspection once a month during spring/summer and pins notices to the gates of the plots that need some attention. They put up a sign the week before to warn us when they're going to do it. They follow this up with letters if the notice on the gate doesn't have an effect. Ultimately they do evict people, but I think more often it's a matter of persuading the person to admit they're not really into it and to give up the plot voluntarily. 

It is a condition of the council leasing them the land at a discount (and hence our rents being quite low) that everything is kept reasonably neat and tidy, so they have no choice but to enforce it against everybody. All the plots are separated by hedges and it's in the tenancy agreement that you keep your hedge trimmed and weeded underneath - again this is part of the deal with the council - if people don't do this then after a couple of warnings the committee will come round and do it for them and charge them £10 for the hedge cutting service. The inspectors don't mind if your plot's not perfect, they just want to see that you are using it...but they do mind about the hedges!! 

Although the hedge maintenance is a bit of a pain, it does mean that the whole site looks well-cared for, and I think it has a knock-on effect, as if you've just spent ages lovingly grooming your hedges you don't want the rest of your plot to look scuzzy by comparison (although mine often does!) 

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 18:19:35 »
Sally, there's no one size fits all.  If your site votes in favour of the changes then that's your answer.  Democracy is a wonderful thing, be grateful you have a voice at all.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2009, 06:09:39 »
If it was up to me(a big if) I would suggest that the people with unkempt allotments should have to give up half to someone on the waiting list, which is growing all the time. We have quite a few plots on our site where only half the land is being used.

I did this with a new plotholder who took a half-size plot last October but did very little work to it.  I persuaded her to give up half of it, making her plot into what our Council calls 2 "mini-plots".  They are still a decent size for someone just starting, but all she has done is cover with black plastic but not plant anything. It's time for me to have another Word with her. ::)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

sally james

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 20:17:36 »
To the great unwashed
 I  love democracy, but there is 3 on the  committee in our site that move the gate posts and make the rules to sort themselves, roll on 17Th to throw them out!
Sally

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 14:24:55 »
17 pages of regs! :o
We have a page and try to keep it at that.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2009, 18:06:39 »
What rules do you need?

1. Grow mainly fruit and veg.
2. Keep it reasonably free from weeds.
3. Don't make a nuisance of yourself.

That's 17 words.  Is there any more that needs to be said?
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2009, 21:20:48 »
4.  Come regularly.

Mrs Soup

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 23:39:54 »
17 pages is unenforceable. We have one side of A4 in size 11 font and really that's more than we need.

There is nothing about inspections, the committee did one last year, but now the site is self policing as all the plots are worked so any neglect stands out like a sore thumb.

IF you don't like how the committee operate vote them out - but beware, you may end up on the new one!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2009, 18:24:47 »

I did this with a new plotholder who took a half-size plot last October but did very little work to it.  I persuaded her to give up half of it, making her plot into what our Council calls 2 "mini-plots".  They are still a decent size for someone just starting, but all she has done is cover with black plastic but not plant anything. It's time for me to have another Word with her. ::)

She might have read the advice I've seen in some of the magazines that an allotment is best done that way for the first year..... TBH if it wasn't for me being impatient and having too many plants kicking around at home (long story involving a house purchase falling through) and having a brainwave about builders bulk bags full of soil then a good 2/3rds of my plot would be a plastic wasteland right now.....  chrisc

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal