Author Topic: Lottie the kitten has gone  (Read 1759 times)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
Lottie the kitten has gone
« on: June 25, 2009, 15:47:46 »
 We set the trap last night to try to catch one of the adult feral cats and caught the kitten instead!  A very nice lady from the Cats Protection League came and collected her this morning.  She thinks they will be able to rehome her as she is so young and should be able to be 'tamed'.

I asked her to let me know what happens to her.

We will still keep trying to catch the adults, especially Carrot, the big ginger tom. ;)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Re: Lottie the kitten has gone
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 17:50:44 »
That is probably the best thing for the kitten as it may not have survived the winter on the allotment.  I am sure it will quickly get rehoused, and at least the Cats Protection League will check its health and give it injections etc.  I worked for their charity shop so hopefully they should do what they are doing.  Poor little kitten, let us know if you have any news of her/him.

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 17:53:02 »
A result in a way I suppose I have seen your other thread and she was a cutie but Im sure theres an old lady somewhere or maybe a family that will be more than willing to give her a good home. :)

Follow My Allotment Journey http://www.PembrokeshireAllotment.Com

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 18:22:32 »
I've already had a text from the CPL person, saying that she took Lottie to the vets, had her tested for feline Aids and leukaemia and she was negative for both.  Also, she has been handling her and said she purrs a lot.  Hopefully they won't have a problem rehoming her. She has kept her name of Lottie as it's a female but of course the new owner will probably change it.  I hope they keep in contact with us.

It was lucky that I contacted the CPL because someone on the site had had a bad experience with them some years ago and almost put me off.
It only takes one person to give an organisation a bad name. :(
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 18:24:15 »
AIDS in a CAT!!!!!  Crikey   :o

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 18:28:06 »
Our cat came from CPL - they were a pain in the butt, making sure that we were suitable & could provide suitable accommodation for a cat. They put a lot of effort into matching an animal with what we could provide & they got it spot on. I was really impressed & we still donate something to them every year. It may vary locally, but I think they do a good job (& I don't like the RSPCA).

And this is the best thing for Lottie, well done!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 18:37:03 »
Think they had better get the tom cat done, or else give him a supply of durex (joke).  I got blamed for kittens that looked like my cats, but one was 15 years old and not up to it, and both of them had been done or whatever as kittens.  I think the CPL will find it very difficult to catch the tom cat, and have visions of them chasing about the allotments with a cage.  Cats are not stupid and expect he likes living there.  Lets hope that Lottie goes to a lovely family and they keep her name.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 18:43:25 »
Straying slightly but that's what cats do... My mate took his cat Trevor to get his happy bits removed this week, and the cat died! I know this is a theoretical outcome but have never actually  heard of it happening! I still think it's best overall, but quite an upset. The vet then tried to charge them for their costs!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 18:51:28 »
Straying slightly but that's what cats do... My mate took his cat Trevor to get his happy bits removed this week, and the cat died! I know this is a theoretical outcome but have never actually  heard of it happening! I still think it's best overall, but quite an upset. The vet then tried to charge them for their costs!
Good grief, poor Trevor!
I asked the CPL person about how we go about looking after the adult ferals when they are returned to us after their op.  He told me that it was such a straightforward operation that there were never complications. 
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 18:55:41 »

Oh dear, theres nothing worst than losing a pet (well there is but you know what I mean), we have 3 dogs used to have 4 and lost 1 last year it can be heartbreaking.

I know where I would tell the vet to send his bill and it wouldn't be my door!!!!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 18:57:12 »
Think they had better get the tom cat done, or else give him a supply of durex (joke). I think the CPL will find it very difficult to catch the tom cat, and have visions of them chasing about the allotments with a cage.  Cats are not stupid and expect he likes living there.  Lets hope that Lottie goes to a lovely family and they keep her name.

The CPL have left us their trap (where we caught Lottie last night.) They said that if we use it as a feeding station, with the ends open, the cats will go into it to feed.  Then, once the food is disappearing regularly, set the trap.

We have one large long-haired ginger and white cat who I call 'Carrot' (I'm guessing he is a Tom) and at least one female white and tabby.  There may be more but our site is quite big and there are lots of places to hide.

The other day I heard the crows making a lot of noise and when I went to look I saw Carrot on the grass, surrounded by crows who were pecking at him.  He didn't seem at all bothered and after a few minutes he just got up and sauntered off.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 19:03:00 »
Perhaps, maybe, I am not sure, that it is better to neuter cats as kittens, I suppose it might be a more difficult operation if they are older.  I think the cat may have had other problems, perhaps with the anathestic, and normally it is a straight forward operation.  I suppose it is kinder than what they do on farms, drown the kittens, and let the mother have too many litters.  'Baby' one of my cats was a rescue cat from Bayford Woods, when they were going to drown the kittens (or say they said) and she came home with us in my son's pocket, and we already had two cats and a dog in a flat!!!!!

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 20:00:38 »
Great news Betty. Will have to come and see you now instead of Lottie. ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 20:08:15 »
Great news Betty. Will have to come and see you now instead of Lottie. ;D
That's good Shirl, glad you haven't changed your mind.  See you on Sunday.
 :)
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal