Author Topic: Oriental veg  (Read 1873 times)

amphibian

Oriental veg
« on: June 24, 2009, 20:58:03 »
Does anyone know a good source of oriental veg seeds.

Such as:

Choi sum
Tai gu choi
Bak Choi
Gai Laan
Ong Choi
Woh sun

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Oriental veg
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 20:59:18 »
China?  ::)

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 21:26:18 »
I have got some. 

They do not grow in the UK, they start off alright but then go to seed before they are big enough to harvest.  Sadly.

I brought them back with me from the far East to try them a couple of years ago but I and others who have tried to grow them have not succeeded in getting them to mature properly.

Another gardener has told me that it is our day light hours which are too long for them. So unless you have a well heated greenhouse to grow them over winter. No doubt some nice kind nursery man will develop the seeds to grow in our conditions.

I also brought back some sweet corn it grew slowly to about 8 foot high then the frost came.

My analysis is that if it is not available here it is because we can not grow it.

Meanwhile there are some toughish lettuce, endive and chicory type plants which can be used chopped in stir fries which give a reasonable result.

However, I am getting some strong plants this year from some gourds I also bought. The wet cold winters of the last two years halted them about now but this year they are looking better.

The flowers have done well, as pot plants.

E-mail me if you want the surplus seeds I have and we will sort something out.

littlebabybird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 21:34:08 »
 ong choy = Ipomoea aquatica from nickys

lbb

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 22:12:11 »
I get oriental seed from nickys also, I sow them in august/september for growing through the winter in the poly  :)

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 22:22:20 »
Nicky's looks like it has a lot to start with.

Cheers.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 22:30:45 »
our pak choi is doing great,we have had loads already,stir fried in a bit of sesame oil then a splash of soy at the end,delicious as a side veg.tried some in the greenhouse over winter but it bolted madly.cant remember where we got the seeds but it wasnt anywhere exciting,our local nursery possibly,am nearly out of seeds or i would send you some.
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 22:34:10 »
I have a Thai plot neighbour who grows oriental vegetables.  She's always pressing 'Chinese' this or that on me!  I think I've got some of her saved Gai Laan seeds and seeds for something she gave me which she called Chinese parsley but which is actually Chinese celery.  Happy to send them to you if they're any good for you. 

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 11:27:41 »
Another gardener has told me that it is our day light hours which are too long for them.

I think there is something in that (obviously depends exactly what and which variety of you are growing) but the likes of pak choi, bak choi etc can bolt with too much heat etc. And from what I've read most seem to prefer a mid to late summer planting so they won't bolt etc, so that must be to do with day light hours and heat.
Last year was a good year for the oriental veg I grew  :)
And from what I've seen Nickys do seem to do a decent range

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 16:04:01 »
Remember China is vast... tropical to Tundra... rainforest to desert... so some varieties have different requirements. The basic principal seems to be rich soil and plenty of water...  :-X

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 17:50:50 »
I got some 'green boy' Pak/Bok Choi seeds from www.realseeds.co.uk. This type is supposed to be more resistant to bolting than others. Have only just planted them so dont know what they are going to turn out like!

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 12:39:31 »
The Pak Choi variety I have tried that seems to work well at almost any time is Canton Dwarf (it's a bit shorter and fatter than normal Pak Choi). I think it's quite widely available but I got mine from Suffolk Herbs. http://www.suffolkherbs.com/kolist/1/2/CH28.htm

I found Choy Sum grows fast but runs to seed very quickly so would not plant until mid to late August unless you're around to pick it at the right moment.Definitely one for succession planting. (Simpsons Seeds - http://www.simpsonsseeds.co.uk/shop/Oriental_Vegetables.html)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 12:51:19 »
I think mine came from Johnson Seeds.
As long as there is plenty of water around them I can see they need this to come true.
They have all taken a while to show bout now MMMMMMMMMMM
 ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:53:29 by landimad »

Got them back now to put some tread on them

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal