Author Topic: Watering using a petrol water pump & hoses?  (Read 3732 times)

wlisa

• Not So New ...
    • Lisa's Craft World
Watering using a petrol water pump & hoses?
« on: June 25, 2009, 18:01:23 »
Does anyone water this way?  On our allotment we have several water stations where we can get water from using watering cans.  There are a few people who have a petrol water pump which they attach hoses to and water that way.  These are quite expensive but do save the arm and leg work of watering cans.

My question is does anyone know how to or where to get a belt driven water pump which could then be attached to a rotavator and powered that way?

Any advice greatly received, this may be a completely mad idea, but I thought it was worth asking.

Many thanks

Lisa
Lisa

Mr Smith

• Hectare
Re: Watering using a petrol water pump & hoses?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 18:09:13 »
Wilsa,
          Why not just go to 'Machine Mart or a similar type of company and buy a waterpump with a little donkey(engine) on it, if you worked your costs out that would be the way to go, :)

wlisa

• Not So New ...
    • Lisa's Craft World
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 18:18:36 »
we looked at this and we are looking at around £130 - I was just wondering if there was a cheaper option.

Thanks for replying though.
Lisa

ChrisBro

• Quarter Acre
    • My Allotmment Journey
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 18:19:07 »
Hello

Considering how cheap they are one of these things might be worth a try:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRILL-POWERED-WATER-PUMP-FITTINGS-pools-ponds-sinks_W0QQitemZ310149045031QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM?hash=item483652db27&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1686|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

You can spend a bit more and get a metal one just search fro "drill pump" on ebay theres a good selection of them, they basically connect to a normal battery or mains powered drill dont know how good they are but for under a tenner could be worth a go??

Hope that helps

Chris

Follow My Allotment Journey http://www.PembrokeshireAllotment.Com

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 18:32:13 »
You are lucky if you are allowed to do this.

Birmingham Allotments dept. has issued us with rules about the use of water.  We can only use a hose to fill a water butt or watering can.  We can attach a seep hose to the water butt but can't use it at the same time as we are filling the butt.

The reason for this is because the department has had its budget cut by thousands this year, and also for environmental reasons.

If anyone is caught watering with a hose, they are to be issued with an official warning letter.  If caught again, it's seven days notice to quit the plot.

We've had some complaints.  People say that it isn't fair on the elderly or infirm.  The Council says that if you are fit enough to work a plot you are fit enough to carry a watering can.

Of course, our committee is stuck in the middle.  We are supposed to inform on people which I am very reluctant to do.  When I told an old bloke near my plot about the rule, he told me not to worry - he would come after dark when nobody could see him!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

wlisa

• Not So New ...
    • Lisa's Craft World
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 18:37:31 »
Thanks ChrisBro I will show my hubby and see what he thinks - he is the one with this idea, I just want an easier life LOL.

Betty I completely understand where you are coming from and I wouldn't mind just being able to fill a water butt with a hose, but on our site you would still need to be able to power a pump to get water through the hose from the water stations.
Lisa

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 18:43:50 »

Betty I completely understand where you are coming from and I wouldn't mind just being able to fill a water butt with a hose, but on our site you would still need to be able to power a pump to get water through the hose from the water stations.

Oh, I see now, it's because your water station is far from your plot?  I was thinking it was like our site where there are about 13 taps spread out around the site so nobody is more than a few feet from one.
Sorry, bit of a misunderstanding.
Good luck!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

wlisa

• Not So New ...
    • Lisa's Craft World
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 18:55:56 »
That's OK Betty complete misunderstanding, I have to walk from my plot down another plot before getting to any water so it is quite a way with heavy watering cans.
Lisa

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 18:59:52 »
That's OK Betty complete misunderstanding, I have to walk from my plot down another plot before getting to any water so it is quite a way with heavy watering cans.
Lisa, do you have any way of collecting rainwater on your plot?  A shed, or greenhouse?  A bloke on our site has even put a sloping roof on his compost bin, complete with guttering and downpipe!
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 19:01:22 »
Of course, Squash64, you could have a massive water container on stilts, run a hose (legally) to that, and use a second hose from it. The only problem would be water pressure. Alternatively, use a water tank and run seep hoses from it. As long as you're filling a water container, you're legal.

But you're right, it's ridiculaous. Most plotholders are perfectly reasonable people, and we do know there's a problem. Why can't they ever sit down with us and hash out sensible solutions, like a £20 surcharge (or whatever) for anyone wanting to use a hose, and eviction for anyone using one without paying? It would be far better than these stupid over-the-top rules, but when did BCC ever have any sense?

I don't use a hose, incidentally.

wlisa

• Not So New ...
    • Lisa's Craft World
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 19:06:41 »
No Betty we are not allowed sheds as they attract vandals and we are quite close to a mental hospital and when inmates sometimes get out they hid in the sheds apparently.  We have a brick built building which houses communal sheds.

We have only just taken the plot on and have cleared it finally, so we are looking at all different ways, we have built a couple of compost bins and I do have a large barrel (like a water butt) which I am going to take over there to collect rain water as well.
Lisa

naff

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 19:48:11 »
Try a search for W Robinson and Sons, I think they ebay as Pumps uk.
I,ve used them for pumps of all kinds fpr 25 years. You need a bare shaft pump possibly a Koshin but take a look at their range. I have no connection with the company other than as a customer both for work and private purchases, you will not find better service anywhere.
              Hope this helps,Naff

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal