Author Topic: acer leaf dropping off  (Read 1691 times)

daileg

• Hectare
acer leaf dropping off
« on: June 17, 2009, 17:54:23 »
my next door neighbour has had two different acer dropp all there leaves early this year just after spring started they came to bloom from winter than just shed there leaves was wondering if anyone has had to deal with this as i have never had or grown acers was wondering any advice i can pass over the fence shall we say  ;D

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: acer leaf dropping off
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 23:33:58 »
They can drop their leaves if it's too windy, or if there's a late spring frost.
If tghey're in tubs, check for vine weevil, which will eat the roots and kill the plants.
If it's frost or wind, they should leaf up again either this year or next.

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 12:41:07 »
there in the ground in beds was watching somthing the othe day sugested dont like direct sun prefer shaded area of garden this could cause a problem as there direct also we live on top of a mountin wind can get a little severe and there was a spell of windy weather but they were all ok last year he has put some sort of fertalizer for acers in the soil waters them weekly with it the one tree has now two leaves on it the othere is bare just stem ill let him know what you have stated

thanks for the help 

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 00:49:13 »
You're right, if they are in full sun that could be another problem - in their native home they grow below taller trees and so are both shaded and sheltered.

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 01:15:44 »
They need plenty of water !! mine will drop their leaves if not kept damp anda good mulch ofpine needles or acid compost helps  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal