Author Topic: filling my plot  (Read 7070 times)

trudie

• Not So New ...
Re: filling my plot
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 21:26:08 »
thanks for all the advice people. Been doing really well most of it sorted now just edges to tidy and more weeds to burn but yeah all done and well  in time. Mr council is happy and now i can relax [if only]. Now thinking of making up little hidey places for the slow worms,ladybugs and all the good guys. Any ideas? :D

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 11:06:52 »
Break up any rotting wood and stack it in a corner.

Grow nasturshums to attract nice bugs.

Leave another corner as grass to grow on but remember to cut off any weed seeds before they mature.

Lastly, sit still and keep quiet for about 10 mins after you have dug over a few feet of soil and marvel at what you can see.

Bill

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 21:52:17 »
me too

just plant goard i think thats the spelling.
it is huge and really makes the plot look used.it gives great big pumpkin and marrow size veg i think but just looks soo good

good luck

rob

Le-y

• Acre
  • Growing children and food in Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 07:07:36 »
You could always plant some plants for next year which attract wildlife i intend to devote a portion of my plot to this. 
First time allotment holder, second time mum.

trudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 21:26:26 »
thanks for all the helpfull info. Been getting the boys making lady bug houses. I made my nine year olds day when i finally let him cut loads of twigs up with the very sharp sectaries :-\

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2009, 17:03:09 »
IM having the same problem half of my site has failed cultivation survey, not quite sure how as its just as planted up as the other half. We have 21 month old twins so weekends are the only time we get down there or an hour in the evening.

WEve bust our gut this weekend to dig as much as we can and got quite a bit done. Seriosuly hoping for good weather next weekend so we can weedkill some too. OH and dig the other half of this bit we are digging.

The bit we are digging we are going to cover with weed barrier and then plant through so hopefully that will keep the weeds down on that bit so we can concetrate on another bit.

Weve just manged to get leeks cabbaged cauliflowers and broccoli all going for 4 strips of 8 plants for £5 at B&Q. In reality each strip has about 12 plants in it.

We will succeed with this its just a bit tougher when youve got kids too. ONce done you can look at your plot with pride and think ive done it with all the challenges the kids have brought us and reap the rewards of your hard work.

trudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2009, 20:50:39 »
I do feel for u brownow123 kind of makes u panic that your plot is going to be stolen away from right under your feet.  It took me nearly a broken back and a stricked ban on doing any house work for at least two weeks so i could get my plot to the standard the council wanted. Now its done every one is happy  ;D and i can relax "in a way."  Sounds like your getting there keep it up. The little ones will soon be helping out, or as my two boys do be off playing adventures. My plot feels safe, all fenced in so i let them run free.They normally come back with handfulls of fruit from other plotties, Which keeps them quiet if only a few Min's. keep it up it's all worth it :D

brownowl23

• Acre
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2009, 21:44:53 »
Trudie - I actually ache alot less that I thought I would after this weekends hard work. An acheivement at least and then next weekend we can do more.

Looking forward o getting the rest dug and the weedbarrier down so I can plant more goodies.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2009, 22:25:56 »
Do be careful not to overdo things.  With 21 year old twins you have a lot on your plate.  Hopefully you will soon get it all sorted.

Must say I think that all the stress of having inspections would take some the pleasure out of having an allotment.  I go the lottie to escape from stress. 

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2009, 17:01:36 »
I need to fully commit, less house work more gardening

Put the TV in the skip.
the TV is not my weakness sweetie my weakness is keeping my house clean and tidy

Stuff the housework!

(hope my OH never reads that as he'll then know his comments at home are wasted!...anyway if he didn't do some of the housework he'd just waste his time playing computer games!)

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 06:20:48 »
With 21 year old twins you have a lot on your plate.  Hopefully you will soon get it all sorted.

I just read that as twenty one year old twins  ::)  But would they be more help than hinderance   ;D

And good luck to you all with your plots  :)

Ishard

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 09:44:26 »
They would be a hinderance. lol

I drag my 23yr old down to my allotments to act as body guard cos its very isolated and he moans all the time "Can we go home now, can we go home now"

trudie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2009, 22:04:01 »

I drag my 23yr old down to my allotments to act as body guard cos its very isolated and he moans all the time "Can we go home now, can we go home now"
So they dot get any easier as they get older. Think i might give my boys an area with just fruit stuff's, with a wild life haven for them to look after. My boys r 5 and 9. They might find that a bit more interesting. They do like to collect the slug's and snail's for me so it's not too bad

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2009, 22:38:04 »
How about making a bug box from small pallets and filling it with bug friendly stuff?
Smile, it confuses people.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2009, 22:56:51 »

With 21 year old twins

Many apologies bit of a typo there.  The twins I think are 21 months, so she has her work cut out coping with them as well as getting to grips with an allotment. 

THE MASTER

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 22:56:36 »

my 18 year old son has his own plot
and it looking better than mine
HE WHO DARES WINS !!!

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 00:00:38 »

So they dot get any easier as they get older.

The short answer to that is.....

No!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 09:13:20 »
With 21 year old twins

Many apologies bit of a typo there.  The twins I think are 21 months, so she has her work cut out coping with them as well as getting to grips with an allotment. 

Aw no need to apologise Digeroo, it was just me reading it quickly, and then having to go back and read it again properly, and realising the typo and then getting the giggles. And you know how hard it is to resist a cheap gag  ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 21:50:26 »
Very inspiring to read how you can do so much so fast, brownowl123 and trudie.

It's scary to have the threat of someone taking your plot. But maybe you'll be glad in a way, because you ended up getting a lot done, being very efficient - and that must feel great.

I've got a 10 month old and a 2 year old, and left my old plot and am starting from scratch with a new plot - completely overgrown, massive brambles etc. But so far I've been cultivating a big square patch.

An azada arrived in the post this week, so hoping if I can learn how to wield it, I can make some fast progress!

I'm going to think of you two and really go for it!

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2009, 06:52:37 »
I think you will enjoy using the azada, Pigeonseed. I know mine has proved invaluable  :) 

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal