Author Topic: peppers not getting taller!  (Read 7467 times)

Hector

• Hectare
peppers not getting taller!
« on: June 22, 2009, 22:56:34 »
I have three bell pepperplants....two are sticking at  6 inches tall...look healthy but not pushing up a main stem despite nit being "pinched"
Jackie

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
Re: peppers not getting taller!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 23:00:35 »
How old are they? are they being grown under glass or outside?

oliveoyl_25

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 23:01:54 »
Have you been feeding them?  Mine are MMMAASSIIVVE... well,... over 2 feet, which is the biggest I've ever grown... I've been giving them Miracle Grow once a week.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 23:02:37 »
dont know age as neighbour gave me them...she had them under cover in pots and I potted up to a bigger pot (ring culture) Look lush but wee???
Jackie

Uncle Joshua

• Hectare
    • nikkershaw.net
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 23:07:33 »
I'd give them a little time Hector and as oliveoyl_25  said , a little  Miracle Grow always helps, also if you can get them out of pots.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 23:09:49 »
Thanks all. They are in 11 litre pots, with compost with fertiliser in it...strange thing is one is fine (same type) but others look as if they have been "stopped"
Jackie

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 08:33:39 »
a few of mine were like that but they've started to go up now, after a bit of warm, I think mine were sulking as the weather went colder again, even though they are under cover  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:05:13 »
I gave a couple of mine comfrey and have to say that seems to have perked them up.  The two that got the comfrey are noticeably bigger after only a few days. 

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 16:15:06 »
Comfrey it is then!
Jackie

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 23:19:36 »
Yes: def give them comfrey: I feed mine with it three times a week and they seem very pleased and keen to grow! They sound hungry!

I also water mine with a milk solution, same as my tomatoes: http://fennelandfern.co.uk/2009/06/22/neo-natal-tomato-care/

It keeps them strong and disease free, and works a total treat!
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 23:25:35 »
Do you have a reference for feeding milk to tomatoes to improve vigour and disease resistance?  I've heard of a milk spray to combat mildew on cucurbits and roses but never feeding plants with milk.  I'm interested to see the data.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 01:02:00 »
i've read somewhere before that some one advocated sprinkling dried milk around the tomatoes and watering it think its suppose to be its high n potash.

but i could be wrong.

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2009, 07:05:59 »
I think there is some research out there: but there's also loads of anecdotal stuff among organic gardeners that it works. Certainly from my point of view it produces strong, happy plants. I bought a few plants which were looking  a bit sad and were reduced massively, and comfrey and milk have perked them up no end! I also make a little soil mixture before planting them:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/gardening-blog/2009/jun/15/gardens
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2009, 09:05:08 »
I think there is some research out there:

Do you have a link?

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 10:04:25 »
I'll have a look, but I don't have it to hand! I think it's something to do with natural antibodies in the milk fighing nasties, and the calcium strengthening the plants. But I'm rather talking about what works with my plants, and that's that the ones that get the milk are toughies, and the ones that don't are wimps!
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 10:20:13 »
Well I feed my plants with chicken manure pellets and any wimps get cut down with a machete and discarded. Stop messing about.Feed the plants with fertilizer.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 10:29:26 »
A quick google seems to indicate that the milk-feeding theory traces back to a couple of bloggers.  No-one seems sure why they are doing it; providing calcium is one theory, protein turning into nitrogen is another, milk as an anti-fungal is yet another.

The same google also turned up people feeding tomatoes beer and coffee.  There are probably others equally bizarre!

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 14:00:39 »
Well, I'm just passing on what works for me! Each to their own and all that...
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

carbonel11

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2009, 21:33:51 »
Hi fennelandfern, i found this advice from the jamaican agriculture ministry http://www.moa.gov.jm/eatgrow_gardencare/garden_homemadefertilizer.php they would seem to be advising that milk and indeed coffee grounds are reasonable fertilisers. I found it quite an interesting read. I suppose milk is just one more organic substance like blood and bone and indeed poo that on breakdown provide plants with nutrients. I wonder if there are any cultures that look askance at our practise of putting excrement on plants?   ;D

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 09:23:39 »
Thanks Carbonel11! I feel affirmed in my organic madness. Eristic: I don't use the milk as a fertiliser, but as something which fights fungal problems like blight. For fertilising, I use comfrey tea.
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal