Author Topic: Earwigs and ants  (Read 2604 times)

elhuerto

• Acre
Earwigs and ants
« on: June 17, 2009, 19:46:33 »
I've just been down to the allotment and found the tassels on a lot of the sweetcorn on the floor next to the plants. Looking at the cobs and checking them, I found earwigs crawling out. Is this the end of my cobs as I assume they're nibbling down and also there's going to be problems with pollination - any suggestions or are they doomed? I also found them on the toms, peppers and aubergines.

I also went to pick a couple of globe artichokes and found them swarming with ants who seem to have made a nest between the "petals" - anyone seen that before? I can't see any damage there though.
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Earwigs and ants
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 09:50:04 »
haven't got an ans re earwigs but i'm certain i read that ants in globe artichokes are farming aphids that are inbetween the bracs.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 10:05:31 »
Thanks a lot, that's definitely the case with the ants so I guess that's not a bad thing at all.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the earwig issue?
Location: North East Spain - freezing cold winters, boiling hot summers with a bit of fog in between.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:09:41 »
elhuerto

The ants are not attacking the aphids they are encouraging them - they collect the sugary substance that the aphids produce - and are a pain the proverbials!

Not heard about earwigs eating the sweet corn or anything like that before - I will wait to see what someone else writes on this subject!

Old Bird

;)

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 10:17:29 »

The ants are not attacking the aphids they are encouraging them

Oooops, don't feel so bad at eating their farm for supper last night now ;)

Heartysoup

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 09:06:39 »
Earwigs can be a massive problem as they usually hang about in gangs and they've got big appetites. It's impossible to say what damage they've done, but if they've been there a while it could be quite a lot. Sit tight and see what happens.

To get rid of them (and it takes a wee while) stick some canes in  the ground around/through your crop, put some upturned plantpots on the top filled with straw or shredded paper. The little blighters will shelter in the pots and you need to go around with a bucket of water, tip them in and drown them. Not pleasant, but effective.

elhuerto

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 14:09:59 »
Thanks for that. I decided to have a look today so took a cob and "unpeeled" it. About half a dozen earwigs fell out as I did so. The cob I'd say is about 75% mature and over half has already been eaten. I have about 75 plants and there are only a few with tassels left on the cobs so it looks like I've pretty much lost the lot this year. That's pretty disappointing as they were looking like a great success.

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 05:57:22 »
Earwigs eat carrot, parsnip and beetroot leaves. I gather they also go for peaches and apricots, although I don't have those.

Earwigs hide all day and come out at night. Heartysoup got it right. You can catch them by putting out pots upside down and stuffed with straw; they hide inside.

Some people spray earwigs, but not me.  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal