Author Topic: calling all jam makers :D  (Read 14990 times)

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
calling all jam makers :D
« on: June 21, 2009, 20:40:53 »
Hi,

I am currently in the process of making some jam for the first time. I am using an old recipe out of  a book i was given by my grandmother.

Only problem is it doesn't say what to do after you have made the jam! I have a lot of glass jars with lids that i have collected do i just pop it in there? I have read somewhere about using wax paper?? Plus doesn't say how long it keeps?

Its a very basic recipe Same amount of sugar to strawberries. Cover strawberries in sugar cover for 24 hrs boil for 5 mins cover for 48 hrs then boil for 20 mins until setting point is reached.

So far so good looking and smelling lovely will have to finish off and jar up tomorrow.

Thanks Lucy

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: calling all jam makers :D
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 20:47:16 »
I do all my jars in the dishwasher, then dry in the oven on low..plus, I use wax discs and cellophane lids...has it set  I always add some lemon juice, if it's soft set, it's better in the fridge , we're just finishing the blackcurrant jam I made last year  ;D

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 20:54:58 »
Best of luck mummybunny! I thought it would be easy peasy, invested in jam pan, couldn't reach setting point but ended up with jam you could slice like a cake  :-[ Mind you it was blackcurrant, and I am reliably informed it does set well  ::).
Smile, it confuses people.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 21:03:02 »
Well i will add some lemon juice sounds like a plan  ;D where do you get your wax disk's? And when you say cellophane is that cling film?  :-[

I would have loved to make blackcurrant but mine hasn't survived for some reason! But plenty of strawberries though  ;D

cant wait to have a fresh loaf with homemade strawberry jam fingers crossed it turns out ok. 

Lucy

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 21:08:23 »
hope this link works, only place I can find at the mo  ;D
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/F/C/cooking-baking/C/cooking-baking-jam-making

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 21:19:25 »
If you have a Dunhelm Mill near you they sell Jam making stuff for very reasonable prices. You could buy some kilner jars as that makes it easy.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 21:22:20 »
If you are worried about setting, you could buy jam sugar - it has added pectin.  Most supermarkets stock it and it isn't vastly more expensive than ordinary sugar.  I'd still put the lemon juice in tho as personally I think it adds flavour!

Happy jamming :)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

darren2007

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 21:48:52 »
i made jam for the first time the other day very nice it was i bought jam sugar with added petcin from my local sainsburys cost £1.08 packet

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 22:06:18 »
I'm not sure why your recipe has all that faffing about leaving it standing for so long twice!  I just put the sugar and fruit in together, heat gently stirring until the sugar has dissolved and boil until setting point is reached.  For some odd reason jam sugar in Tesco is cheaper than normal sugar but the juice of a lemon works just as well.  You can get packs of jam pot covers (waxed discs, cellophane covers (not clingfilm), elastic bands and labels) from cookshops and places like John Lewis.  Jars need to be sterilised, either in the dishwasher or in very hot soapy water, rinse well then put them in the oven @ 100c.  When you've filled the jars put a waxed disc on top and press gently to exclude all the air and pop on the cellophane secured with a rubber band. 

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 22:08:44 »
A handfull of redcurrants will add pectin...  :)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 22:13:03 »
I'm a novice jam maker, i made blackcurrant last year ...very firm my previous attempts at strawberry ..very firm  then afriend down the lottie suggested a jam thermometer,i've made some strawberry today  so fingers crossed  :)the thermometer was a fiver from Dunelm
sanity is overated

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2009, 10:53:53 »
That is why my strawberry jam is setting this year, I added redcurrants.  Hurray.

pippy

• Acre
  • North Notts Allotments!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 12:06:37 »
You don't need a jam thermometer.  We simply put a saucer in the fridge when making jam.  When it has boiled for long enough (as per the recipe), simply drop a few drops on the saucer to make a 10p size blob.  Put it bak in the fridge for a minute, then take out and run your finger across it.  If it wrinkles across the surface it is at setting consistencey.
Leave only footprints, take only photographs ....

flowerofshona2007

• Hectare
  • Flowerofshona
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 12:25:36 »
I buy pectin powder to add to my jam, works out much cheaper than buying jam sugar !!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 12:51:47 »
ceres I think I read somewhere that if you let the strawbs stand in the sugar overnight it draws the juice from the strawbs and makes them "hold up" better in the jam.....ie: less mushy strawbs!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

123b

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 13:07:26 »
I get my jam pot tops from Lakeland, only place I have seen them.
Also not mentioned here, after you have put the cellophane cover on, while still warm paint the cellophane gently with water, then it tightens to make an airtight seal.

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 15:36:30 »
let the strawbs stand in the sugar overnight it draws the juice from the strawbs and makes them "hold up" better in the jam.....ie: less mushy strawbs!/quote]

That will be why my old recipe book tell me to do that then  ;D Well went out to a few places today couldn't find wax disk's anywhere haven't got any of the shops you all mentioned. So went home slightly diffused then suddenly thought of a shop near home one of those bits and bobs shops never been in before. Had a look around couldn't see any but thought i would ask. Hurray they had some a nice 24 pk with the disks cellophane labels and bands in only £1.50 bargain. Plenty too so they have a very happy customer i also found out they sell greenhouse glass so will be popping back down tomorrow to replace my broken pane £2 for the size i need.  :o

Only thing is i forgot the lemon to add to the jam  :( question is can i use jiff lemon? I have some left from pancake day!

if not out to the shops i go getting very excited now. hope it tastes as nice as it smells.

Lucy

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 16:41:30 »
alsoi read to add a thingy of butter while the jam is boiling anyone know why this is?

manicscousers

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 17:15:13 »
supposed to help stop foamy stuff on top  ;D
Hiya, 123b, welcome to a4a, I forgot about wetting the cellophane  ;D

mummybunny

• Hectare
  • Loves the lottie
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 17:23:02 »
Thanks  ;D so to jiff or not to jiff? Lemon that is or shall i get a fresh one?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal