Author Topic: Indigenous British Wildlife I've Never Seen ....  (Read 7536 times)

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
Re: Indigenous British Wildlife I've Never Seen ....
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 17:40:18 »
Im off to the Squirrel sanctuary then where is it  ;D ;D ;D

When it all came out I was round a friend's house and she had all the celebrity magazines, and they all had interviews with Colleen. One said how happy she was, and the other three said she'd chucked her ring away, and one of the three said she chucked it away in a squirrel santuary. I just thought it was the one on the way to Southport on the train

I'd wait til he does it again, mummybunny - the wedding ring's worth a million quid

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 19:15:28 »
Don't hold your breath Manics!

I saw a squirrel in the grounds of Nottingham Castle once. It didn't come up with anything valuable.

It dived into a waste-bin and came out with a Kit-Kat. Fully wrapped! It unwrapped it and scampered off.

It was a grey one though. Not a red.

A red one would have been seeking a bar of Green & Blacks!
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 20:36:32 »
Seen two kingfishers
 ;D

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 05:02:41 »
I have not seen this ever and would like to. The colours are the most vibrant I have seen in a british bird.

You can see kingfishers just to the west of Scalby (north Scarborough). Take a walk between The Sea Cut and Mowthorpe Farm on the way to Raincliffe Woods. They are also in Troutsdale and the River Derwent north of Forge Valley.

You can also see them on the River Bourne, just north of Hadlow, Kent.

A third place (if you come over here ever) is in Denmark. There is a pond in the woodland just south of Valdemar's Slot, Taasinge.

The trick with seeing kingfishers is to sit still and be patient. Suddenly there is a right red / blue streak through the air, and it is gone again. That was a kingfisher.  ;D

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 13:20:34 »
I used to see them regularly on the Thames below Sandford Lock, but I don't know whether they're still there. There were some old gravel pits a few hundred yards from the river, and they nested in the banks.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 17:22:07 »
On spring watch they stuck a nicely shaped stick into the river/stream bank and hid and waited ...if you're lucky they choose your perch to fish from.

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2009, 16:07:20 »
I regularly see red squirrels, there are a few that live near our flats in the park.
I have only seen a mole dead  :'(  sniff sniff, they are very tiny.
I regularly see wild rabbits (a novelty as they are vermin in Australia).
I have not only seen a Coypu but I have EATEN IT! Hah! it makes lovely paté, like hare in flavour.
I have seen grass snakes here (you wouldn't want to see a snake in Australia for love nor money), woodpeckers, water rats,  lots of lovely birds of prey, and storks.
never seen a badger though, that must be lovely.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2009, 16:14:17 »
I have seen lots of moles.....but only dead ones after other plot holders caught them in their traps!

Similar sort of things with badgers...only seen dead ones at the side of the road!

I have only ever seen 1 slow worm and that was walking up to a place called "Rodneys Pillar" but I cant remember where that was...it was many many years ago....1977 I think.

Never seen a red squirel in the wild but plenty of grey.

Not seen any kingfishers for ages,then again I have not been to the places I used to see them for a long time.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2009, 16:29:59 »
You can see kingfishers just to the west of Scalby (north Scarborough). Take a walk between The Sea Cut and Mowthorpe Farm on the way to Raincliffe Woods. They are also in Troutsdale and the River Derwent north of Forge Valley.

Oi, one of those places is my secret location, with few people going to... stop giving away our local trade secrets  ;)  ::)  ;D

mat

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2009, 19:03:42 »
Frequently see Kingfishers when I walk the dog down the River Witham about 100m from our house.  I have seen Red Squirrals in the Lakes along with Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers. My dream see would be an otter I think.  Would love to see a Scottish Wild Cat too.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal