Author Topic: Identifying frogs  (Read 3644 times)

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
Identifying frogs
« on: June 29, 2009, 15:08:33 »
I have frogs in my garden, but I am not sure excatly how to identify the species. I think they are either common frogs (Rana temporaria) or moor frogs (Rana arvalis). Very lively too. They like it round my compost heap.

They are greeny brown, about 2 inches long, and have a very prominent black mask that makes them look like a burglar.  ;D

Some of he photos of common frogs show a mask, others not, hence the confusion.

Anyone know how to tell the difference?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Identifying frogs
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 18:31:21 »
I see what you mean, they are pretty similar. We don't get moor frogs in Britain, and I don't have anything covering European amphibians. There are links to pages on both here http://www.herpfrance.com/amphibian/ , so hopefully that might help.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 20:23:00 »
I can't help with identifying your Frog but a few years ago I was sat outside a bar in Boulogne and a French seagull identified me, the bar owner brought out a couple of beers and right on cue this seagull crapped on me from a great height, the  bar owner practically pi--ed himself and said something in French which I did not understand but my wife did and it translated in to 'Everyone shits on the English' even I thought it was funny, :)

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 22:29:23 »
Dont know the frog in question but this may help identify it.
http://www.tiggysribticklers.com/images/2frogs3.jpg

Got them back now to put some tread on them

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 23:20:20 »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 06:00:53 »
I see what you mean, they are pretty similar. We don't get moor frogs in Britain, and I don't have anything covering European amphibians. There are links to pages on both here http://www.herpfrance.com/amphibian/ , so hopefully that might help.

Thanks for that link Robert. Comparing the photos I am tempted to say I have moor frogs because of the pointed face, although it is a problem getting them to sit still while I have a look!

Very appealing creatures. I just wonder where they breed. The only water close by me is my water holes...........and they didn't breed there.

Bjerreby

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 12:30:23 »
Well it seems they like my water holes as much as the birds! I finally managed to get a photo, but this one has less of a burglar's mask than the others I have seen.

From the pointed face, I believe this is a moor frog. Common frogs have more rounded features I think.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:31:56 by Bjerreby »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:40:35 »
It doesn't look like a typical common frog, but that's all I can say.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal