Author Topic: New border.  (Read 1191 times)

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
New border.
« on: June 21, 2009, 07:41:31 »
Tomorrow we are going to our daughters to prepare a new bed for planting. The turf was taken up on Friday & the soil underneath is very poor. Its full of stones & roots from the hedge that surrounds the garden. She has had a load of top soil delivered & we are taking our azada with us to break up the soil. She has been told the top soil has fertilizer in it. Should we put anything in the holes when planting? It's a large border so the plants weren't cheap & we need to give them a good start.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
Re: New border.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 09:18:39 »
I would just put some bonemeal underneath them but others may have different ideas. I know that if you are planting acid loving plants it is best if you give them a bed on their own so that you can keep the soil acid and if you've paid a lot for them then I would do this. I intermingle mine cos I don't pay much for them so they have to take their chance. Don't forget the pics when you have finished the garden. Have a lovely day tomorrow
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: New border.
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:30:55 »
Thanks Shirl, we will. We put a bit of fish, blood & bone down on Friday & the dog had a field day yesterday. Glad it was only a bit. Is bone meal OK or is he likely to dig it up ;D. We went to Newlands in the end, they delivered & gave her 10% discount but it was still a lot :o. Must remember to take the camera.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal