Author Topic: preservative in raised beds  (Read 1656 times)

trogg

• Not So New ...
preservative in raised beds
« on: June 20, 2009, 23:24:01 »
I’ve got the chance of getting some 120 year old joists , 4”x2”, 7”x2” etc , was thinking of using them as raised beds in my garden.
I would obviously have to use some sort of preservative for the timber.
My question is, What should I use, and would it  effect the veg that I would grow ?

ta  :)
boing boing

Buster54

• Acre
Re: preservative in raised beds
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 00:20:00 »
Found this http://www.greenspec.co.uk/html/materials/woodpreservs.html
I am using old engine oil on the outside of my raised beds and exposed timber in my polytunnel
I'm not the Messiah - I'm a very naughty boy."

trogg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 09:13:35 »
Very interesting link Buster,
 basically, if I understand it correctly, what ever you treat the timber with will work it's way into the soil, and treated wood should be classed as hazardous waste  :o
The 'safe' stuff they recommend costs £75 for 5 litres, so I might give it a miss.

I think the best thing to do is leave the timber as it is and let it rot naturally, should still last a few years I think  ???

I know a few people are using pressure treated wood for their raised beds, is it a hazard ? or nothing to worry about ?
boing boing

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:25:28 »
I know a few people are using pressure treated wood for their raised beds, is it a hazard ? or nothing to worry about ?
It's considered safe to use but it's reccommended you don't burn any off cuts you are left with or old treated timber that you need to dispose of, any waste should be disposed of at the tip where it can be dealt with properly.
http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,44536.msg445811.html#msg445811

trogg

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 13:31:31 »
Thanks for the link Baccy Man,
has put my mind at rest  :)  I've also got about 16sq metres of  floor boards I can use.

One more thing, can you use normal fence paint as a preserver for your raised beds ?  I would of thought if it was ok to spray/brush it on to your fence then it should be harmless to your plants.
boing boing

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 22:19:36 »
Why not treat the woodwork with preservative and then wrap it with polythene to provide a barrier between woodwork and soil.  By preventing the preservative from leaching out of the timber it would also make the timber last much longer.  The polythene would eventually degrade and you would have to replace it, but this would be a comparatively cheap and simple job.

Ofer

• Not So New ...
    • Easy enviro gardening products
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2009, 16:21:13 »
We used raised bed at school 20 years ago -with no wall- so we had to shape them every so often.

I was demonstrating at the BBC gardeners world - a strimmer resist lawn edging made from 2mm recycled plastic. It is very Durable material and 3 people asked me to make for them raised beds- the things I had to order about a hundred just to start manufacture it.

But so i did- I spend a lot trying to advertise it - after all great idea for any one- easy to built to ship to store. I can say today 200 were sold at the first year and all customers were happy with it- I improved it all from being grey colour it is now light brown with fastening.

my idea was to be green so tried to sell a big and easy product at competitive price.  I hope that coming spring will do better for them.

we have few in the front garden- the first model: round raised bed

Yours

Ofer

tomatoada

• Hectare
  • south birmingham
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2009, 18:02:04 »
This looks good.  I liked the video except for the music.  Where in the West Midlands are you?   I wish you success in your business.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2009, 22:46:29 »
Surely 120 year old joists should be worth a few bob, unless they have woodworm.
Why not sell them and get some different wood, and use the money to buy tools etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal