Author Topic: Going to seed  (Read 739 times)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Going to seed
« on: June 19, 2009, 20:03:28 »
I was at the allotment today and noticed a few of my red onion have what looks like a bulb shape forming at the end of the long green leaves, I asume this is what I have heard other people call them going to seed. What should I do, are these onions useless now? Do I pull the end bit off and they will carry on growing? Are they all likely to do this now?

SPUDLY

• Acre
Re: Going to seed
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 20:44:40 »
Hi Inky,

Most will be ok. You will find the odd one that goes to seed. If the bulbs are big enough use these up now. If left to late, the onion will have a woody stalk through the middle and become no good.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Going to seed
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 13:13:36 »
Just nip the seed head off, and as Spudly says; If the bulbs are big enough use these up now

However I only partly agree with his second statement; If left to late, the onion will have a woody stalk through the middle and become no good.

I wouldn't say they will be no good, true they may have an inedble centre core but the flesh around this core will be perfectly edible.

The only thing I would add is eat these onions first as they wont store as well!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal