Author Topic: greenish wood chip as a mulch?  (Read 1208 times)

elvis2003

• Hectare
greenish wood chip as a mulch?
« on: June 19, 2009, 10:37:12 »
hi folks,we have been given a lot of this from a tree surgeon,its a little bit leafy,smells wonderful! i would like to put it around the bottom of the raspberries/blackberries/pupmkin patch,to act as a weed supressant,mulch and to look nice. good idea or bad idea?
thanks in advance
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: greenish wood chip as a mulch?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2009, 10:43:19 »
It's best to age the woodchips for about 6 months before using them as a mulch to prevent nitrogen immobilisation.

hopalong

• Hectare
  • East Finchley, North London
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2009, 10:47:30 »
Sounds like it will look very good but have little or no nutritional value. Could be a problem about robbing the soil of nitrogen as it rots down. Blackberries and raspberries like to be well fed, so manure or well rotted compost is better. Others will have views!
Keep Calm and Carry On

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 10:56:10 »
Tree surgeons must be desperate to get rid of this stuff.  We've been offered it too.  As well as immobilising nitrogen, it can also change the ph of the soil depending on what type of trees have been used.  If diseased trees have been chipped, there is a small risk of honey fungus.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/NR/rdonlyres/D4C959A7-40F4-4C2E-90A9-31A74C5409A6/0/Armillaria.pdf

I would only use it on top of membrane for paths.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 12:06:58 »
It's good for paths. I have used it to mulch beds, but only when I was using them for beans, which obviously provide their own nitrogen.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 18:19:59 »
I shred large quantities of woody material every year (up to 100 cu. ft).  I would never use it fresh as mulch, but always mix it with the previous autumn`s leaves, which means it then has between 2 and 3 years composting.  I then use it as mulch for anything that needs mulching, with excellent results.  Its one great drawback is that plants which normally make small clumps make plantations, couch grass spreads like wildfire,  and every windborn seed which lands on it germinates and grows like mad.

However, Ceres is right, a lot of the timber cut by tree surgeons is already diseased in one way or another (particularly in tree preservation areas) which is the main reason for their employment, and I wouldn`t want the risk.

I suspect that a qualified tree surgeon would recognise Armillaria anyway, would probably have an outlet already available, and not offer the chippings, but for so many of the `Tree Surgeons`who offer their services read `Traveller with Ladder, Chainsaw and hired Shredder`

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 18:39:54 »
it tends to save the vans the trouble taking it to the tip to get rid i dont mind cheaper than bark its free does the same job and we can get our hands on 90% of the time so thumbs up from me

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2009, 09:49:36 »
thanks folks,ill keep it to the paths then!
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal