Author Topic: Brown Turkey Fig  (Read 4731 times)

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Brown Turkey Fig
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 14:45:20 »
Sorry got my Grannies mixed up .....  :-[

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 16:34:08 »
Don`t make the mistake I made by planting one in a greenhouse-they grow and grow!!

Not so much `pruning` needed as major butchery :)

Squash64

• Hectare
    • Walsall Road Allotments
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 16:59:52 »
This is my fig tree, grown from a small cutting about six years ago. I asked another plotholder to stand next to it to give an idea of the size.

As I said before, I didn't know that I should have restricted the roots when I planted it, I don't suppose it would have grown quite so big if I had.

There are lots of figs on it, even more than last year

Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

allotment website:-
www.growit.btck.co.uk

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 17:15:36 »
Don`t make the mistake I made by planting one in a greenhouse-they grow and grow!!

If planted in my walk-in coldframe it would surely survive BUT I'd have little room to grow anything else unless it was sternly pruned and trained. But maybe I'll think about that... hmmmm. So many ways to skin a cat.
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 17:33:34 »
That's still a baby Betty... they can reach 20' easily... there are some in the parkland attached to Anthony House on the south coast...  :)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2009, 12:48:35 »
I still have one small plant that has not really grown much in its pot for the last 5 years....still trying to decide where to put it! ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Squashfan

• Acre
  • Ah, gardening!
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2009, 15:08:50 »
Very useful thread! This is our first year with our fig tree and we've put it in a giant pot with some drainage in a suntrap area. Seems happy enough. I'll have refer back to this one in a couple of years when it decides to put on some fruit.  ;D
This year it's squash.

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2009, 15:37:52 »
That's still a baby Betty... they can reach 20' easily... there are some in the parkland attached to Anthony House on the south coast...  :)

Oh dear, I'm going to need a ladder......
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 16:47:37 »
It should fruit next year Squashfan.. just keep cutting out the top Betty...and encourage lateral rather than vertical growth...  :-X

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 17:03:46 »

If planted in my walk-in coldframe it would surely survive BUT I'd have little room to grow anything else unless it was sternly pruned and trained. But maybe I'll think about that... hmmmm. So many ways to skin a cat.

I don't know if this would work where you are (thinking of those winter temps!) but how I over :) winter some of my more delicate and precious plants in the garden (mostly yellow cannas) I get a bigger pot than the 1 they are already in, put some straw in the bottom, then put the plant & pot in then stuff more straw around the sides then shove more straw around the plant and then wrap in fleece. Nice and snug!! I remember seeing the banana plants wrapped up in a similar way at Christopher Lloyds garden, except they left them in the ground and then built a frame around them and filled the frame with straw, and covered with fleece. But this is all in East Sussex .....

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2009, 17:15:08 »
Meant to say that if you have a glut of figs, homemade fig jam is just the best!!

Squash64

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 18:55:44 »
It should fruit next year Squashfan.. just keep cutting out the top Betty...and encourage lateral rather than vertical growth...  :-X

I should have said that it is full of fruit at the moment, impossible to count how many.  But your tip about cutting the top is correct.  I did this a couple of years ago and it fruited well last year too.
Betty
Walsall Road Allotments
Birmingham

www.growit.btck.co.uk

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2009, 19:37:09 »
We have one in a pot that we got from Wilkies last year. It had a fruit on which has now dropped off. :'(
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

amphibian

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 19:45:13 »
Figs grow everywhere where my Mam lives, on the high plateau behind Trieste in Italy. It frequently drops to -15°, no idea what variety it is.

saddad

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2009, 21:06:19 »
There is a Bavarian Variety that is supposed to be extra frost hardy...  :-\

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2009, 21:20:40 »
There is a Bavarian Variety that is supposed to be extra frost hardy...  :-\
That would be Violetta it's hardy to -20ºC (-4ºF), it produces very nice figs, survives outdoors in Wales without any frost protection, but dies if it gets covered in a highly concentrated mix of glyphosate & sodium chlorate by the idiot attempting to clear the plot next to yours.

GrannieAnnie

• Hectare
  • in Delaware, USA growing zone 6 or 7
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2009, 12:57:04 »

I don't know if this would work where you are (thinking of those winter temps!) but how I over :) winter some of my more delicate and precious plants in the garden (mostly yellow cannas) I get a bigger pot than the 1 they are already in, put some straw in the bottom, then put the plant & pot in then stuff more straw around the sides then shove more straw around the plant and then wrap in fleece. Nice and snug!! I remember seeing the banana plants wrapped up in a similar way at Christopher Lloyds garden, except they left them in the ground and then built a frame around them and filled the frame with straw, and covered with fleece. But this is all in East Sussex .....

Do you add water ever during the winter? Wouldn't it dry out? 
The handle on your recliner does not qualify as an exercise machine.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 13:01:25 »
Figs are mediterranean plants they like to be kept dry in the winter.

• Hectare
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 13:49:21 »
Would agree with Baccyman there, so no to extra water. Besides the pots are outside and the covering is permeable. If they were indoors then yes, but only a little and not very often.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal