Author Topic: TV Company seeks exciting allotment!  (Read 8489 times)

Merete

• Not So New ...
  • Newcomer without funny line
Re:TV Company seeks exciting allotment!
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2004, 08:54:26 »
A research project on allotments in Oslo, Norway - this bit is in English:  http://www.21firstst.com/parsell/sammendrag-en.asp

Orion TV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2004, 09:06:52 »
Hi Merete

Interesting statistics on Olso allotments - quite a different picture the stereotypical British lottie holder - a large proportion of women!  Perhaps it should form the basis of a new TV show - "Euro-allotment Blind date challenge" (that's a joke, by the way - before I recieve a torrent of anger)

Cheers

Kelwyn

Merete

• Not So New ...
  • Newcomer without funny line
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2004, 09:10:53 »
Well, there ARE a lot of divorced women between 40 and 60 at our allotment - I saw that at our last allotment party, where my husband was one of very few men...

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2004, 05:09:32 »
If anyone would like to find out about U.S. 'allotments' this contains some information:
http://www.communitygarden.org/

Orion TV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2004, 10:58:18 »
Hi John

Thanks for the link - very interesting.

Kelwyn

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2004, 20:01:45 »
The start of this thread grabbed me as tensions rose!
I agree,it depends on how all this is portrayed with the current perception of the media and past experiences the world over. (By the way, I love the Good Life!)
I am 39 and had a plot for a year & 4 months. First full year surprised me by amount of produce! :D
Knew nothing about gardening apart from when we used to "nick" grandads peas in his garden when we were kids!
I think his garden was transformed by the Grow for Victory around the war times.
Recently drove from Calais to Belgium and when coming back to Surrey on a breakdown vehicle, we were higher up and could look around. We saw lovely allotments with nice matching sheds etc. Looked great but if we lock anything in a cupboard it gets broken into! :-\
A shame because it means putting rotivator on a trailer each time and keeping it at home.
I would be very interested in any program ORION TV makes,hopefully I will hear about it BEFORE it is shown and not AFTER which is the norm for me!

The variety of people at our plots near Gatwick is amazing. Many colours and ages and 98% friendly. The oldest being 93 and a regular on her hands and knees! Great to see :)
I admire them for it and asist by doing grass round their plot and getting them manure. Didn`t want anything for it but they insisted in thanking me with a bottle of scotch ;D ;D :P

If program is made then MAKE SURE you let us all know on here.....................

Andy & Becky
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 20:11:16 by Andy H »

Orion TV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2004, 09:11:30 »
Hi Andy & Becky

Where near Gatwick are your plots?  I am trying to compile a list of good candidates for an expert road show element to the show.

Oh - this offer is open to all, by the way.  If you and your fellow allotmenteers have any particular issues/problems that you feel would benefit from an expert's eye - drop me a mail - kelwyn.whittaker@oriontv.co.uk

I'm afraid I can't guarantee anything - as the show is not yet definite - but will add you to the list (the show's scope is UK only so far).

Apologies for the early tension - things have eased somewhat since then.  As I said previously though - it just shows people are passionate.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #47 on: October 26, 2004, 23:21:58 »
Hi Kelwyn

ROFL - it's amazing what changes three months off the board brings.  I seem to remember (but I'm sure I'm wrong ;D) all the complaints about allotments NOT being on TV ---- ah well, I chucked out my TV 6-7 years ago!  :) :)  

For European allotments, there's also this website http://www.jardins-familiaux.org/ .

Good luck with with the project - all best, Gavin

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2004, 00:48:21 »
It all depends on who's posting Gavin, I doubt anyone changed their opinion in those three months.

salad muncher

• Quarter Acre
  • Wish I grew more
Re: TV Company seeks exciting allotment!
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2005, 14:59:58 »
Hi kelwyn Hope you had a good New Year.
Just thinking about how never veg programs on telly to keep me out of the pub last night and remembered this debate so thought would be interesting to see how you were getting on, how about an update

Orion TV

• Not So New ...
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2005, 09:16:57 »
Hi Salad Muncher

Yep - a happy new year to you also.

I'm afraid there's been no movement on the allotment proposal.  I was working up the idea for Channel 4, and they have decided to go with an alternative idea - I've no idea what it is yet - but I guess we'll see it sometime this summer.  No matter though - my one man quest to get allotments continues......

Cheers

Kelwyn

Bun

• Half Acre
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2005, 10:09:43 »
Good luck Kelwyn. I think it's a great idea!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal