Author Topic: Butternut squash problem  (Read 2984 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Butternut squash problem
« on: June 16, 2009, 15:20:52 »
This is my first year trying butternut squash.  I transplanted Avalon (Trailing type) and Harrier (Bush type) Butternut squash here in Teeside 3 weeks ago.  All are now looking a bit pale colour and drooping.  I dug a hole, put in a fork full of manure and put each plant into it when they were 4-5" tall.  Plants looked much healthier when in their pots.  Whats gone wrong?  Weather or have I done something wrong? 
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 15:23:06 by ktlawson »
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

daileg

• Hectare
Re: Butternut Squash
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 15:28:18 »
wouldnt worry too much ther adjusting to the temp thing at the moment one day hot one day wet on day cold they will settle down give a while if the shrivel up check there stems near the base this is where you have problems if you going to get them

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Butternut squash problem
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 16:14:50 »
We have had a few quite cold nights.  I think it was last Thursday the wind turned round to the north and gave us a quick burst from the Artic.  Courgettes, squashes and pumpkins are happiest above about 7 degrees.  Perhaps next year cover them at night a little longer.  The met office web site gives an indication of the temperatures though they can be out by 3 or 4 degrees.    But they did predict that one.

Once it stays warmer they usually pick up. 

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 18:08:57 »
If you are in the north of England I would plant them out a little later next year. For this year I would give them a good feed and it should pick them up  :)

TheSnail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

amphibian

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 21:29:33 »
My squash looked miserable for weeks after planting out, they're romping away now. Fear not they'll be fine.

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 21:55:45 »
I don,t think we get good enough weather up here KT, i have two in the polly tunnel going great guns.
Must admit tho i have never tried ouside just always presumed it would shiver itself to death.
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

carosanto

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:33:58 »
HI

R?e butternut sqush problems I live in Cornwall and also had trouble after planting out perfectly healthy looking potted plants into the ground.  And its been fairly mild and sometimes very warm here, in fact watering has been a constant problem.  The leaves shrivelled and they seem not be thriving at all.  Then, yesterday, I really got down and dirty with them having a good rootle amongst the leaves when two small tiny green caterpillars or grubs fell off.  They are bright bright green.  Are my butternuts being attacked by something or were they just passing visitors having sa stopover on my plants?  Any ideas anyone?

Thanks all.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal