Author Topic: Horticulture Degree- a follow up to my 'Gardening Career' thread  (Read 8261 times)

Digitalis

• Acre
A while back I asked about gardening as a career, and was informed that it is low paid and hard to find work - at craft level.

So, I started thinking about it a little bit differently.

I have been offered the chance, however, to study a BSc in Horticulture at Pershore College/Uni of Worcester. I'd love to do it- if for nothing more than out of personal interest.

None of my mates who have degrees are currently working in the same area as their degree- I have one friend who works in engineering, yet she did a media degree. So, my point is that having a degree in any subject has it's merits and transferable skills, such as report writing, analysis, etc.

What are your thoughts on a Horticulture degree? Has anyone done similar? What type of jobs would be available on graduation?

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
i have just finished a foundation degree in horticulture, there a several job oportunities for folk with qualifications, check out 'horticulture week' magazine ;)
You couldn't make it up!

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
if you are set on this - go for it.  You are right that any degree will give you transferable skills (will this be your first degree?)

This is a big undertaking, so I suggest that if you want serious advice that you talk to the Careers advice team at Pershore.

Good luck

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
hey, what a co-incidence... I have just been offered a place at Pershore on the HND (first 2 years are same as BSc)  My IT role is being made redundant (as I wasn't prepared to go and work in Norwich...) and I have decided to use the "disaster" to do the horticulture course I have always wanted; with the aim to start my own business.  Hey, there's no IT jobs out there at the moment so I may as well do something productive (no pub intended  ;)) rather than go on "job seekers". 

I want to do the BSc, but can only financially commit to 2 years, so will do the HND - first 2 years are same as BSc, so I can do the 3rd year if I wish to later with no penalties.  Like you, having any degree is often more imprtant than what it is.  I knew a guy in IT who had a music PhD...  I may have to get back into IT after the course to pay the mortgage (and during summer hols with short contracts) and start a business part time initially, but I hope a miracle will occur and I will not ever have to work in IT again...

I have not been online recently as I have been so busy, so have only just read all your posts

I had seriously considered Askham Bryan, which i live near to, but the enthusiasm at AB seemed seriously lacking, and at the open day, horticulture was noticeably absent in showing off their courses... So I went to Pershore last week to guage a difference, despite it being 200 miles away... wow, what a difference, I always knew it was a good college, but the difference was amazing...

Maybe I will meet you there.  I am now considering where to live on the college days!  I am looking at cheap B&B's, but I may even buy a small caravan and find a site & storage!!!  The main thing is I need to keep expenses down so I can keep paying my mortgage (bulding work on house is now on long term hold  :()

if you wish to communicate with me, please pm me.

mat
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 07:40:19 by mat »

fi

• Half Acre
Re: Horticulture Degree- a follow up to my 'Gardening Career' thread
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 22:56:32 »
i shall be starting HNC in organic horticulture at Pershore next week!

norfolklass

• Hectare
  • Norwich - a fine city
Re: Horticulture Degree- a follow up to my 'Gardening Career' thread
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 00:16:10 »
My IT role is being made redundant (as I wasn't prepared to go and work in Norwich...)

do you work for Archant by any chance? I've seen lots of vacancies advertised locally recently due to company restructuring. anyway, best of luck with horticulture, it's way more satisfying than IT.

back to the original post, yes lots of people don't work in the same field as their qualifications, and yes lots of people don't have degrees, they're not the be all and end all. but I would imagine that in the current climate of lots of unemployed people and fewer vacancies having a degree may well put you at a bit of an advantage. if I had the opportunity to do a horticulture degree I'd jump at it. (I did the RHS General Certificate at evening classes a few years ago and the next step would be a two year course at Easton college. can't afford it at the moment but it's on my list of things I'd like to do.)

life's too short so if you want to do it, go for it. and tonybloke's right, check out Horticulture Week for info on all the different career paths available: http://www.hortweek.com/careers/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal