Author Topic: Ladybirds - what to do?  (Read 1416 times)

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Ladybirds - what to do?
« on: June 16, 2009, 22:17:49 »
I really need to remove my blackfly ridden, gone-over broad beans as I need the space.  But when I looked at them today, they are covered with ladybird eggs, pupae and (not yet mobile) juveniles.  I tried gently picking the pupae and juveniles off but they are very firmly attached, I think through the leaf.

If I dig the plants up and pile them in a quiet corner, will the ladybirds survive?  Anyone know how many days it takes from egg though to mobile juvenile?  I really don't want to harm them, but I desperately need the space back.  Help!   

betula

• Hectare
Re: Ladybirds - what to do?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 22:25:44 »

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 22:31:22 »
Thanks betula!  That's very useful.  So the entire lefecycle is 4-7 weeks - I can't wait that long.

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 22:35:33 »
CAn you just pop them on top of your compost heap?I would really try hard to keep that many ladybirds around my plot :)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 22:40:20 »
Our broadies are covered in blackfly, and the blackfly are covered by ladybirds. They are STUFFED  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
The Tuscan Beaneater

amphibian

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 08:34:12 »
I have the same issue, blackfly on everything, even on my pumpkins. Ladybirds at all stages of life also on everything. Fortunately all the adults I have seen have been natives too.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 08:40:01 »
Ours are covered with ladybirds too! I'm fairly certain most of them are Harlequins (brown legs & big) but there's too many to kill if they are and the way I see it, at least they can be bothered to turn up!

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:56:26 »
Have not seen one ladybird on my plot yet :(

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 09:14:43 »
Only yesterday when I was looking for the first blackfly on the beans I noticed that there was a load of  youngsters on there. The beans will be finished soon but I will be able to leave them there cos I don't need the room asap
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 09:30:56 »
i think pulling the plants and leaving them piled in a cool corner would do just fine and would give the larva and pupae stage the time to complete their cycles.

a cool corner would also slow down the dieing of the plants which will sustain the blackfly which will of course feed the existing larva and any that will be hatching out.

maybe you have a nettle patch you can dump them in?

your right about the pupae being pretty stuck to the leaves but the larva are fairly easy to move, I've been transferring them since the weekend onto my aphid covered loofah plant in the greenhouse with great success :).

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 09:45:29 »
The larvae don't need to eat the plant to survive I would find a source of aphids and pile the cut off broad beans next to it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal