Author Topic: corkscrew hazel advice  (Read 1868 times)

daileg

• Hectare
corkscrew hazel advice
« on: June 16, 2009, 17:45:18 »
i have recently bought a corkscrew hazel in a 5 inch tub stood about three foot high looked a healthy speciman
question is there wasnt much foilage when bought all be it comming on slowly after re planting out into bed in front east facing (loads of sun till 13.00- 14.00 want to know is this normal in first year after planted out or should it have come on quicker as im concerned the pot contained a 50-50 sand mix but has gone into a well manured bed would this cause a slow growth ? should i lft it and re set in with better drainage ? ???

i know the later question sounds a little dumb to do with drainage its like asking a question i should allready have the answer too was wondering thats all
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 17:48:15 by daileg »

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: corkscrew hazel advice
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 21:54:28 »
Give it time. If it's growing, and looking healthy, then it's establishing itself satisfactorily. Growth will probably speed up with time.

ceres

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 22:09:22 »
I bought one maybe ten years ago.  It was also about 3 feet high when bought.  It was planted in a bed like yours that gets sun until early afternoon.  My soil though is very light and free-draining.  In ten years, it hasn't put on more than 6 inches in height although it has bushed out a little.  It's very healthy, lots of leaf cover and catkins in winter.  I've come to the conclusion it's just a very slow grower.  I don't think changing your drainage will make any difference.

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 22:34:47 »
twisted hazel are notoriously slow to grow, prob due to the virus that makes them twist. they do prefer well drained site, tho'
You couldn't make it up!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 00:31:22 »
Agree with the above comments about slow growing, mine is 6' high after about 10 years. My only other thought was that vine weevils love them, if it has been in a pot a while it can suffer. You would find white grubs amongst the roots, but that would mean digging it up again to inspect it so I would only do that if it looks sickly!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

daileg

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 17:50:08 »
ill keep an eye on it from what im reading new it was a slow grower the only reason i started this thread was walking around B&Q  the other day and sore one in better condition to mine with far better growth leaf wise ill leave it as is see how it does thanks for advice guys

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal