Author Topic: Newbie needs some advice and motivation ...  (Read 4164 times)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
Re: Newbie needs some advice and motivation ...
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2009, 18:39:24 »
Hi Boywonder looks like you've got your work cut out, but most of us on here started with something similar so we now how you first feel. Your ideas are spot on, strim as close as you can get to ground level and dig out the roots and don't forget to get a compost bin going with all them weeds your digging up, chop up any big roots with your spade and mix with the weeds, grass cuttings, kitchen peelings and shredded paper and your compost bin will soon get going. Carpets not the prettest of things but it does help kill off the weeds while your waiting to dig the rest, just don't leave it on for too long, as all ready said look around what your neighbours are up to and don't be afraid to ask them any questions. Dig a bed at a time and get some brassica seeds in, I've just put in some swede, kale, chinese cabbage and fennel in in the last few days, when you said we, I put my Sherlock Holmes hat on and deducted that there will be two of you grafting,  ;)  that will help a lot if theres two of you, even invite some mates to help, anyway I've talked for long enough to best of luck and don't let the weeds win.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2009, 22:08:53 »
Then all you need is a few good old Irish Boys and a 16 lb hammer!

I hate using a sledgehammer. I do have one, but I've consistently found I could do more damage with the back of a four-pound axe.

BoyWonder

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 08:39:33 »
Thanks guys, theres a lot of advice there that I'm going to take on.

I've booked the strimmer in for Saturday (just have to pay for fuel which is pretty good) and the old couple from the next plot has offered me a shed that one of there builder friends has from a house they're working on, the kindness from you allotment owners is unbelievable ... never felt anything like it!

I will be sure to keep you guys updated with my progress (bore you to death ha ha)!

At the moment I'm mentally preparing myself for some real grafting on Saturday, the other half cant really help me with the hard work as she has serious back problems but i have arranged for both of my brothers to come and help, that will be a big brucy bonus!

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 08:53:41 »
Get your OH a comfy chair so that she can see whats going on & she can get to know the neighbours. Enjoy, it's a wonderful experience being an allotmenteerer, (is there such a word)?

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 09:19:14 »
Welcome to the site BW. Don't forget to show us some opics of how the plot is coming along.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 09:28:02 »
Then all you need is a few good old Irish Boys and a 16 lb hammer!

I hate using a sledgehammer. I do have one, but I've consistently found I could do more damage with the back of a four-pound axe.

Thats why I leave it to the lovely irish guys while I ponce about taking pictures ;)
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

KateM

• Not So New ...
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 09:49:09 »
Before you know it your allotment will be completely different and you wont believe what you've achieved!  We got our allotment at the beginning of April and it was a complete mass of weeds as well, we've now got a good portion of it dug and planted and, other than spinach and rhubarb which were there before us, we've just this week got our first reward that we planted ourselves, some absolutely delicious strawberries!
But don't forget the camera!  It's the one thing we did forget which is such a pity as we've come such a long way!
And also, keep some cider or something similar in the shed as a nice refreshing reward for your hard work when you need a break! 
Looking forward to seeing your updates, good luck and enjoy!
Never thought I'd enjoy the allotment quite as much as I am!  Off to mash some home grown spuds to eat with home grown courgette and home grown beans!  Can it get any better than this?! :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 11:08:57 »
Welcome to the site  :)

If you like French beans, I suggest getting a few seeds (I can send you some if you like - just PM me) and sowing them in small pots. They'll germinate in no time and can be transplanted into your first cleared area giving you a crop later in the year.

Also a few herbs like Rosemary, Parsley, Coriander and Thyme cheer up a site that's in transition. Lots of salad can be sown now (Lettuces, cut and come again spinach, Radish, Rocket...) and Pak Choi from next month - all providing a 'return' this season.

If you like Mint remember it's very invasive so make sure you keep it contained - either container grown or planted in  something like an old bottomless pail buried in the ground.

Good luck at the weekend.

liefste

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2009, 20:22:56 »
Hi, i got my lottie at the end of Feb this year, it was about 10ft high with about 20 odd years of brambles..
The day we got the keys we got stuck in, we got a brush cutter and started clearing.... had lots of tea breaks ( we found an old chimney flu, that we boiled our water on)..... we got cut to bits with brambles, but we just did.. Then when one bed was formed we then dug and then double dug, added lots of compost from the council tip, and chicken manure pellets. Then planted our seeds / plants.. Then we started forming the next bed, had lots of tea, got digging and digging, adding lots of nice things to the soil, and so on and so on.. Three months on we have a great looking allotment, and everything is just taking care of itself, as the soil is so good i think.. So you can achieve what we have, if you put into it what you expect to recieve.. Good Luck .. 8)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal