Author Topic: Newbie in Liverpool  (Read 1415 times)

herring8

• Not So New ...
Newbie in Liverpool
« on: June 17, 2009, 21:25:20 »
I put my name on several waiting lists and expected to wait years, within a few months I got the call to pick a plot only couple of hundred yards from home.  It's roughly 30 strides by 15 with a rickety shed and some apple trees.

It's like a jungle (see pics) but because of the state of it I get it free until January - the pics show the raw state when I got it.  It's been sprayed with weedkiller and last weekend I hired a strimmer from the site.  I've popped up for an hour or so each night and am hoping to finish strimming at the weekend (weather permitting).

Really enjoyed reading this forum  and wanted to introduce myself, hoping to grow at least one thing this year.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Newbie in Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 21:30:31 »
Hiya, herring, welcome to the site  ;D
whereabouts in liverpool are you, there are quite a few on here..are the trees yours?
are they fruit?
still loads you can sow and plant..we will be doing a second lot of dwarf french beans at the end of june, plus more carrots,lettuce etc..
happy plotting  ;D

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 21:34:16 »
welcome to the forum herring  :)you've got your work cut out  :oBut we've all been there and it's worth all the hard work Good luck,look forward to hearing about your progress :)
sanity is overated

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 22:22:21 »
Welcome, herring. You've got a busy few months ahead- just take it a bit at a time so you don't get dispirited. Clear a patch and sow something, then you'll feel better. Nice shed!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 22:23:10 »
Welcome to A4A Herring...  :)

herring8

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 22:33:39 »
Hiya, herring, welcome to the site  ;D
whereabouts in liverpool are you, there are quite a few on here..are the trees yours?
are they fruit?
still loads you can sow and plant..we will be doing a second lot of dwarf french beans at the end of june, plus more carrots,lettuce etc..
happy plotting  ;D

I'm in Childwall - the plot is on the Thingwall site, the biggest in Liverpool with around 200 plots

http://thingwall.webs.com/

I know I've got loads of work ahead but hoped to grow something this year as a statement of intent.  The hard digging doesn't bother me, it's a more interesting way of keeping fit than joing a gym.

The apple tree is mine and has some fruit - really impressed with how friendly everyone on the site is.

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 09:41:17 »
welcome to A4A and allotments Herring. There's still loads of time to plant things this year, for some extra ideas check the Wiki bit on this site and then there's Tee Gee's website. Loads  of useful tips and info on whatr to grow

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 13:03:42 »
Welcome to A4A.  Its a great site.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 16:14:58 »
Welcome Herring and good luck strimming, then cover it up  to weaken the weeds and grass and roll it back bit by bit as you dig a bed at a time and keep all that greenery for composting and enjoy the exercise, I lost about half a stone when I first started.      ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

elvis2003

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 16:42:18 »
welcome herring!
we are not far from you,in aigburth.
good luck with your plot,looks lovely!
rach
x
when the going gets tough,the tough go digging

anything