Author Topic: petrol strimmers ryobi or mcculloch  (Read 16756 times)

joestig

• Not So New ...
petrol strimmers ryobi or mcculloch
« on: June 15, 2009, 02:30:40 »
I've been putting off getting a petty strimmer for ages now, and the time has come.

The lady at B&Q reccomended mcculloch,
 i've seen a ryobi on ebay for only £50
can also pick up a mcculloch for about £60

I know you get what you pay for, etc, etc. But I'm not up to a stihl.

My choice is Mcculloch Trim mac 250

or Ryobi RLT30 CD

And I need to order it today or tomorrow

Your esteemed advice , please!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: petrol strimmers ryobi or mcculloch
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 02:38:27 »
I've been putting off getting a petty strimmer for ages now, and the time has come.

The lady at B&Q reccomended mcculloch,
 i've seen a ryobi on ebay for only £50
can also pick up a mcculloch for about £60

I know you get what you pay for, etc, etc. But I'm not up to a stihl.

My choice is Mcculloch Trim mac 250

or Ryobi RLT30 CD

And I need to order it today or tomorrow

Your esteemed advice , please!

I've got a Ryobi and although it has its quirks (starting procedure isn't what the manual says) it's not a bad little thing and the fact you can get other heads for pruning, a very small cultivator, mower etc makes it very versatile. As a strimmer I find the standard bump-feed handles most everything I've ever thrown at it but it struggles on older and more robust stuff, the Procut will go through anything up to brambles and the Trigon brushcutter handles them pretty easily..... pick the head for the job and the rest is easy.....

chrisc

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 06:55:09 »
Funnily enough, I bought a McCulloch from B&Q.  It wouldn't start, so they changed it.  The replacement was so unreliable that the following year we bought a Ryobi.  Never had a problem.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 07:33:59 »
I'd go for the Ryobi, had mine 2 years still going strong. Like Chris says you can get different heads for it.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:31:00 »
I'd go for the Ryobi, had mine 2 years still going strong. Like Chris says you can get different heads for it.

Make sure it mentions "Expand-It" . Most 30cc Ryobi should be OK.... They even make one with a starter motor and little rechargeable battereies for starting.....

chrisc

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 10:32:36 »
I've got a Ryobi 30cc with strimmer head and the expandit cultivator. Been using it for 2 years without a problem. Starts easy and runs like a dream.

The cultivator head is no good for rotavating new ground but is excellent for creating a fine tilth once it's dug or for no dig beds and for churning in manure.

The strimmer I use around both plots, down my caravan and on the river bank around my mooring. I wouldn't be without mine.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 14:40:25 »
How much did you pay for it Tony? Been considering one for ages think it will fe great for the raised beds.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 14:47:03 »
I bought it a few years ago, both came to about £150 from Wyvale. They may have gone up a bit by now but like I said before, I wouldn't be without mine.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

joestig

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 16:20:58 »
thanks for the advice, chaps. Keep it coming. It's looking like the ryobi. It think bot mculloch and ryobi can use the expand it tools. That's one of the main reasons I want it.

I want the rotorvator thingy

VRoooom! Vrooom!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 16:42:14 »
Our site strimmer broke and I have priced and submitted a request to the town council for a new one.  I have opted for one from B&Q for £339 providing they agree funds.  It does all the paths and edging around 2 of our sites covering 130 plots.  It is also used to strim overgrown plots before allocating to newcomers.  Not sure of the model but our last one lasted 7-8 years. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

amphibian

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 21:51:20 »
I was very happy with my Ryobi, nearly killed me getting it started first time, until I ignored the manual. Was stolen a few months back, which left me gutted.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 21:58:06 »
I was very happy with my Ryobi, nearly killed me getting it started first time, until I ignored the manual.

There is a knack to mine... Put it on cold start, pull once, take it off cold start, pull again and away it goes. Pull it more than once on cold start and it floods requiring the plug to be removed to dry it out.

Sorry to here you lost yours... Barstewards !
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

staris

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 22:09:54 »
anyone got one of those attachments for a ryobi strimmer for cutting the grass, just wondering if they are any good.

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 22:28:23 »
I'd go for the ryobi every time or a Makita or a Stihl if I could afford it. Screwfix have Ryobi Stimmers with pruner and hedging attachment for £65 at present.

amphibian

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2009, 21:51:16 »
I was very happy with my Ryobi, nearly killed me getting it started first time, until I ignored the manual.

There is a knack to mine... Put it on cold start, pull once, take it off cold start, pull again and away it goes. Pull it more than once on cold start and it floods requiring the plug to be removed to dry it out.

Sorry to here you lost yours... Barstewards !

Mine started by squeezing the throttle while pulling, never flooded. I loved that strimmer.

joestig

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2009, 22:27:01 »

Vortex

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 22:58:33 »
Sorry - your right -miss read the advertising..... itsa £65 saving.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 02:18:56 »

Mine started by squeezing the throttle while pulling, never flooded. I loved that strimmer.

That's the same as mine

pete10

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 19:14:00 »
Got my Ryobi  at xmas , Lovely piece of kit , As other people have said ignore the handbook on ,
The starting .

joestig

• Not So New ...
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 22:28:00 »
doh! I had my eye on one on ebay for £50 and free delivery. By the time I'd waited a day for a few replies on here, they'd all gone.  :-[ 

Never mind, got one for £55 and a tenner delivered, which is still cheaper than Argos, B&Q, etc, etc

Ryobi 30cc

I'll let you know how it goes.

Vroom! Vroom!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal