Author Topic: another use for elder  (Read 1169 times)

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
another use for elder
« on: June 12, 2009, 17:08:53 »
"in the case of the elder, the leaves and bark should NOT be used. This is because they contain toxic compounds and, indeed, can be used as a natural insecticide."
we've a couple of trees on our plot, all the rhubarb leaves go to the chickens
so I'm going to have a go at this, presumably, it's the same method as the rhubarb  ;D

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: another use for elder
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 17:14:29 »
Elder Leaf Insecticide

Simmer 8 ounces of elder leaves in 16 ounces of water for 30 minutes. Stir this thoroughly, then strain. Take 16 ounces of warm water and mix with 1 tablespoon of castile soap. Add soap mixture to the elder water, spray as needed.
Note:
Set your sprayer to a coarse or large droplet setting as this mixture will tend to plug a fine setting.

Target insects:
Aphids, carrot root fly, cucumber beetles, peach tree borers, and root maggots. It is particularly effective against midges.
Elder leaves also have fungicidal properties and may be useful against mildew and blackspot diseases.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 17:24:50 »
thanks for that, baccyman..that's even better than I thought, will collect some tomorrow  ;D

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 04:28:06 »
I didn't realize about elder till I read this thread, then I went to Plants for a Future, and found this entry:

"The plant is a valuable addition to the compost heap[14, 18], its flowers are an alternative ingredient of 'QR' herbal compost activator[32] and the roots of the plant improve fermentation of the compost heap when growing nearby[18].

The leaves are used as an insect repellent[4, 6, 14, 66], very effective when rubbed on the skin though they do impart their own unique fragrance[K]. They can be powdered and placed amongst plants to act as a deterrent[14], or made into a spray when they act as an insecticide[7]. This is prepared by boiling 3 - 4 handfuls of leaves in a litre of water, then straining and allowing to cool before applying[201]. Effective against many insects, it also treats various fungal infections such as leaf rot and powdery mildew[201].The dried flowering shoots are used to repel insects, rodents etc"

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 06:50:16 »
I have been drinking loads of elder flower tea. Will it stop me getting mildew and black spot? ;D ;D ;D ;D

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 10:16:09 »
Careful they might put you on the composter ;D ;D ;D.
Janet

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 10:21:43 »
I have been drinking loads of elder flower tea. Will it stop me getting mildew and black spot? ;D ;D ;D ;D

Well I've drunk vast quantities of elderflower & elderberry wine over the years & I have never had mildew or blackspot so I can only assume it does indeed work.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 18:52:43 »
You seem to have escaped the blight as well.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 17:28:20 »
I find that given how slowly old people tend to move we can use our elders as support for a wide range of climbing plants, beans cucmbers tomatos etc all seem to work well. I wouldn'tr try to grow melons up an elder though as the fruit is quite heavy and if unbalanced they might suffer a painful fall......

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal