Author Topic: broadbean bunyard  (Read 846 times)

upnorth

• Not So New ...
broadbean bunyard
« on: June 13, 2009, 21:30:21 »
Hi broadbeans plants about 36 inches high covered in flowers should I be seeing signs of bean pods  no sign of blackfly plant look very healthy
Regards steve

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: broadbean bunyard
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 22:42:26 »
Be patient, maybe the bees haven`t been busy enough yet.  The first signs of flowers setting will, obviously, be in the lowest ones on the plants.  I usually grow Bunyards, but this year left my ordering too late and could only get green Windsor Longpod, which are as tall as yours,but hardly a flower in sight.   Don`t forget to nip out the tops as soon as the flowers start setting to avoid blackfly infestation.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 22:47:55 »
The pods take a while to appear, but they will develop, even if they haven't been pollinated. In this case, they're empty!

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:43:24 »
Let your beans keep growing but watch for blackfly. At the first sign break out all the growing tips. I have done this and now have beans about 1 metre high, smothered with pods, should be a good crop.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

betula

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 08:28:00 »
Mine are now covered in flowers.The black fly had started so pulled off the growing tips.Np pods yet.Am getting impatient  ;D

I neglected them last year and the got covered in fly........mad with myself will not let that happen again. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal