Author Topic: easiest beans to grow?  (Read 1088 times)

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
easiest beans to grow?
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:49:12 »
Last year I tried to grow a few different types of beans but they didn't do very well. We never got to eat them really. So I was wondering what the easiest type of beans to grow were?

Any is it too late to sow them? Do I need to soak them in water first? We have had a week of solid rain so I haven't been out to the allotment much.

Thanks!!
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
Re: easiest beans to grow?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 10:15:35 »
Runner beans have always worked for me.

I would soak them in water first, as it will give you a head start.
They absorb water from the soil slowly.

Why not bring them on in small pots first, then you know how many plants you will have.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 10:29:48 »
French climbers are easy. I start mine of in paper pots. Just push them sideways into the mix and in just a few days they'll be away.
 Wait until they reach about 6" and plant out. Put canes in right away and train them up.
 Beautiful flowers too.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 11:43:43 »
A plus for Climbing French -

The climbing types are not as much grown. They are somewhat slower to mature, having to make a taller plant and the beans are generally more robust but still much finer than runner beans. Being capable of self-pollination without visiting bees, climbing french beans fare out better in a dull summer. ‘Cobra' is a standard climbing variety, stringless, round pods and continuous cropping. ‘Rustico' is early maturing and has slender round pods.

I've grown them indoors.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 11:58:29 »
I can vouch for Cobra, have used them for the last few years, they are lovely, tasty and grow OK
The Tuscan Beaneater

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 20:09:01 »
Cosse Violette always do well for me.

PurpleHeather

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 21:28:42 »
I have never ever had a problem with beans.

I always start them off in what is considered to be 'indoors' The reason is that it is easier to transplant each successful germination in it's place than plant one or two every so often. Doing that usually results in uneven growth because some germinate in pairs, others in ones and some fail altogether.

This year however, a mole has decided to make a path along one row and is shifting my french climbers about and has almost killed one plant by burrowing under it's roots.

Another reason to keep back one or two extras to fill in any gaps.

STHLMgreen

• Half Acre
    • grow things
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 22:55:44 »
Thanks for the replies. I about 32 beans of 4 different sorts of beans soaking in water now. I'll sow them in newspaper pots / loo rolls and plant them out when they are about 6 inches.

The help is much appreciated!
urban gardening: my humble beginnings
http://growthings.blogspot.com

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal