Author Topic: Runner Beans  (Read 1023 times)

caseylee

• Hectare
Runner Beans
« on: June 13, 2009, 18:52:45 »
I planted tons of runner beans this year in 4 different raised beds.  Just to be safe I planted some more straight into the ground incase I lost some.  Well the slugs had a massive feast and ate all my ones making their way up the poles.  However the ones in the ground are just starting to show.  Is it going to be too late for them to bear beans, or might I just get away with it.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
Re: Runner Beans
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 18:54:31 »
I think Digeroo plants more in July & they crop through to October.

boltonlad

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 19:03:41 »
Last year I planted in early August and had a full crop from them before the frosts came dont worry your in plenty of time.

caseylee

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 19:10:28 »
Thats brillaint, I was not impressed when I looked yesterday and they were almost all gone, so I have put the ones back that ae just sprouting into pots, and have put them in my greenhouse.  Do you know if I can mix runner beans with italian yellow climbing beans

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 19:55:56 »
If  you have a slug problem suggest that you cover beans with plastic bottles at night.  When they just start to show above ground is just the time when the slugs come and hoover them off.  Need to take them off if weather is hot or you will cook the beans. 

Some varieties are more prone to slug damage.  I have found Wisley Magic to be slightly more resistant than some.  Tend to put my runners together since they need the attention of the bees, whereas climbing french do not.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal