Author Topic: Homemade compost question.  (Read 2238 times)

muddylou

• Half Acre
Homemade compost question.
« on: June 11, 2009, 22:20:28 »
I am thinking about next year (this is my fist year with a plot), lots being mentioned about preparing beds etc using compost. I made a composter out of pallets months ago, I've added grass cuttings, toilet rolls, household vegetable waste, manure, straw and egg shells.
Covered it with carpet and added that stuff (forget it's name) that is supposed to kick start the composting process. I read that the heap should be damp but not drenched.
          Unfortunately, other than turning dark, nothing seems to be composting, there is no heat and I've only found one worm in it (lots of other things like bugs and sometimes slugs). I really want to make something to feed next years veg, can anyone give some advice where I may be going wrong.
           One other thing, I've read about layers but on the BBC Dig In or Dig It programme they said it should be mixed and firmed down, which is what I've been doing.  I also add to it regularly.     

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Homemade compost question.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 22:48:35 »
Sounds as if you are getting on fine it is early in the year for heat to really set in when it is not in a bin as such.

Turning dark brown with bugs etc is an indication it is going fine in my opinion.

Maybe check out this page to compare yours http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/making_compost/getting_right_mix.html
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 23:27:26 »
Compost ingredients are split into 2 groups greens which primarily provide nitrogen & browns which primarily provide carbon. The reason some people reccommend layers is to ensure you get a mix of these 2 types of material so you end up with the right C/N ratio. The usual recommended range for C/N ratios at the start of the composting process is about 30/1, but this ideal may vary depending on the bioavailability of the carbon and nitrogen. As carbon gets converted to CO2 (and assuming minimal nitrogen losses) the C/N ratio decreases during the composting process, with the ratio of finished compost typically close to 10/1.

Grass cuttings, household vegetable waste, manure and egg shells are all greens the browns are the straw, & toilet rolls. If you want to produce compost quickly you need to work out the percentage of each ingredient check what it's C/N ratio is & calculate what you need to add to acheive the 30/1 ratio then build the heap in 1 go.

The easier way is add materials as you acquire them & leave them to compost in their own time, mix it occassionally to aerate the compost heap, stop wasting your money on compost accellerants as products like garotta just contain the same bacteria found in regular soil, adding a shovel full of soil to a new heap will have exactly the same effect if not better as adding a commercially produced compost accellerant. Within 12 months you will have finished compost, even if it is still a bit chunky in the spring it can still be used to improve the soil on your plot.

Eristics method is pretty much foolproof, for people new to composting.
http://www.bluewisteria.co.uk/tools/compost.php

jjt

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 23:37:31 »
Don't firm it down just let it settle by itself. You want air in it.

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 23:42:20 »
Well thanks to you both for your informative and supportive replies, I feel a lot better now  ;) perhaps things are working given time.

I get the gist of your post BM, but will have to read it a couple of times more (one section a time) to absorb the information (thanks for taking the time).

Getting the right ingredients in the right proportions seems to be the key.

Thanks again lads.  ;)

Edit. Cheers jjt, will do, sounds sensible. 

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 23:44:21 by muddylou »

Bjerreby

• Acre
  • Can't wait till spring........
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 06:23:09 »
Baccyman and daveyboi have already named the essentials.

I would just say that you don't have to be so scientific about it. Many mixes will work, and in any case, every pile you make will be different because of the various materials available to put in.

There are hot piles that rely on bacteria to do the job, taking just 4 to 6 weeks, and cold piles that rely on worms, taking over a year. I don't like the wait, so I always go for hot piles, and the key to getting them going is

1.   Plenty of nitrogen (green stuff).
2.   Plenty of air
3.   Only just moist, not wet.
4.   Make the pile as big as possible, preferably with equal height, breadth and depth.

I have read about starters and mumbo jumbo, mixes of nettles, yarrow and honey and all that stuff, and I think it is nonsense. A good pile gets going on its own in just a few days without alchemy, but if you insist, you can always put in a handful of NPK fertilizer which will start it up.

Containing the heat is important. I cover mine with a plastic sheet which also keeps out the rain, which cools it.

Stick your hand in deep from time to time to feel the temperature. When it starts to cool down, it will probably smell of ammonia. That means it is running out of oxygen, and you need to turn the whole pile to aerate it. When you have, it will soon boil up again.

I found out last month that clover is excellent in compost heaps. I built one using about 60% clover from my garden "meadow", and within just a fewdays, the temperature inside was 61 degrees C. I turned the pile twice, and after 4 weeks it was finished. The compost is now spread out in the garden.

It reads to me that two things you did got you where you are now.

1.   You took a long time to build your heap
2.   It is too wet.

It is best to store the ingredients in a dry place until you are ready to "build" the heap. Don't pile it up week after week in one place and think it will heat up properly, because it won't. Have a "heap building day", because that will ensure the whole pile is well mixed and full of fresh air. If it is too dry, you can water it a little as you pile it all up.

I'd say if your heap is too wet, forget about it, because you won't get it heated up. I wouldn't even try mixing it into a new heap. Just leave it for 2 years........covered with plastic to keep the rain out, but air it out from time to time.

Go for it muddylou. On here we have "seedaholics", ...........I am a compostaholic!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 06:32:57 by Bjerreby »

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:19:50 »
Try this as a good source.

http://www.recyclenow.com/home_composting/making_compost/

seems like they all want to go down the good life road, glad Tom and Barbara had the sense to dig up their front garden too.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 10:33:39 by landimad »

Got them back now to put some tread on them

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 19:26:47 »
Great reply Bjerreby, I seem to have hit the jackpot with members replies on this thread, I'll follow all the good advice I've had and yes I think my heap is too wet.

Thanks for the link Landimad. 

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 21:48:46 »
I its too wet add some shredded paper and turn it over and mix it in.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 22:11:59 by cornykev »
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 01:10:19 »
I its too wet add some shredded paper and turn it over and mix it in.  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers for the tip Kev. To be honest as I'm short of space for another compost bin I pulled out all of the heap and let it dry today before putting it back in and fluffing it up.
I see where Bjerreby is coming from as the heap seems to need lots of greens to get the heat going. It's just that I have to try and make the most of this one.  :)

nilly71

• Hectare
  • Romford,Essex
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 01:29:01 »
I started mine in September and was worried that it did not get hot, but for the last couple of weeks it has been used when planting out. Starting a cold one now might be ready for Autumn.

Neil

muddylou

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 01:46:17 »
I started mine in September and was worried that it did not get hot, but for the last couple of weeks it has been used when planting out. Starting a cold one now might be ready for Autumn.

Neil

I'm with you Nilly, come November whatever is in the heap will be dug into the beds, I covered the plot in straw and fresh manure last November (when I got the plot) and was told by the other plot holders that I would have to "scrape it off" before planting. My mate said blks, just dig it in, I did and as far as I can see I'm the only one with carrots and parsnips which I was told wouldn't grow, they may end up crooked but I'll still eat em. Admittedly some of the others have much better tom plants and other things than me, I've also made mistakes like nearly killing my broad beans by using too much fairy liquid in the mix when trying to get rid of black fly, but this is my first year of growing on an allotment, so it's all learning curve. :)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:55:13 by muddylou »

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 06:44:58 »
I always end up with much too much grass clipping in my compost.  Gets hot ok but then turns green and slimey.  Courgettes love it.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 20:13:32 »
don't forget to pee on it, speeds up decomposition  ;D

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 20:24:47 »
don't forget to pee on it

But be sure to do it discreetly. ;D ;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 20:54:15 »
Or when everyones gone home.    :o    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

minxy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 21:34:51 »
May seem like a silly question but I also have a compost heap for the first time this year. I have mine in a bin. When I had a look at the bottom it seemed to have a few slugs in it. What happens with them, surely by putting the compost on the garden I will only be putting the slugs in too?

Do I need to do anything with these? 

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 00:26:32 »
But be sure to do it discreetly.

How can you be discreet standing on a box?  ::)

As for the slugs, get used to them. They will be in the garden regardless of the compost and a few more will make no difference.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal