Author Topic: Advice on flower bulbs needed  (Read 2299 times)

robbo

• Quarter Acre
Advice on flower bulbs needed
« on: June 11, 2009, 14:37:19 »
Hyacinths and tulips......I have grown the bulbs in pots in the conservatory this year, but want them growing in the garden next year. When all the foliage has died back, can I plant them in the garden and if so, when do I plant them. If it is better to store them till next year, how do I store them.
Gladioli..........I have planted in the garden this year and they are growing well. Do I have to dig them up to overwinter and if so when do I dig and how do I store them.
I have no problems with veg, but these flower thingies are a lot more complicated .

Robbo.

P.S. I have asked the same question on another forum and had one reply which was helpful but didn't answer my questions.

Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

daileg

• Hectare
Re: Advice on flower bulbs needed
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 15:28:11 »
Hyacinths need storing over winter in the dark sawdust is good dry and dark if you re plant these around november time they should flower for christmas as long as you keep them indoors they like a little cold before they will spring to life for a second time .

tulips can be left in all year round if any advice i can give with these they prefer dry conditions and hot so lift them if you want but should be fine

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 19:52:42 »
I can only contribute to the tulip part....like you, I don't really 'do' flowers etc. Tulips I've had it pots, tubs, I've taken them out when the foliage is dying back and laid them singly in trays, as I do garlic, and leave them in the potting shed. Come autumn, when the shops are full of tulips for sale, I plant them in their permanent cut-flower position - and leave them to get on with it. I've now got quite an impressive spring cut flower bed of daffs and tulips originally grown in pots.

Hyacinths I've given similar treatment but they're not replanted into a designated bed and given no special treatment. The year-on growth has been that of tiny flowers, but all still with the distinctive strong perfume. so I'm still well-pleased with the result 8)

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 19:55:05 »
I can only contribute to the tulip part....like you, I don't really 'do' flowers etc. Tulips I've had it pots, tubs, I've taken them out when the foliage is dying back and laid them singly in trays, as I do garlic, and leave them in the potting shed. Come autumn, when the shops are full of tulips for sale, I plant them in their permanent cut-flower position - and leave them to get on with it. I've now got quite an impressive spring cut flower bed of daffs and tulips originally grown in pots.

Hyacinths I've given similar treatment but they're not replanted into a designated bed and given no special treatment. The year-on growth has been that of tiny flowers, but all still with the distinctive strong perfume. so I'm still well-pleased with the result 8)

We do the same, can't speak for hyacinths, as we don't have any.
The Tuscan Beaneater

springs

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2009, 20:28:54 »
I have about 100 gladioli bulbs on the allotment just leave them in the ground they will be OK

robbo

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 13:59:43 »
Thank you good people for your advice. Am I correct in assuming I can plant the tulips and hyacinths out in their permanent beds in Autumn and leave them there next year. From Springs post my gladioli will just stay where they are.

Robbo.
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 18:27:43 »
I have taken mine out of the pots cos I wanted them for something else. I have heeled them in at the allotment and given them atop dressing of growmore to feed the bulbs ready for next year.
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 23:35:56 »
Yes, you can plant things in their permanent beds in autumn; you could also do it now if the space is available for the hyacinths, planting with twice the bulb's height of soil above them. They will flower in March or later.
Tulips are best planted quite late, around about November. Be aware that fancy tulips will often fade away and die very quickly. However, older plain tulips will last for many years; plant about 8" deep.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 20:37:11 »
Check out each type of bulb in the alphabetical index here; http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Indexes/index.htm

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal