Author Topic: the pleasures of an allotment!  (Read 3251 times)

tonybloke

• Hectare
  • Gorleston 0n sea, Norfolk
the pleasures of an allotment!
« on: April 27, 2009, 21:31:30 »
[attachment=1]
Mmmmmmmm ;) ;D ;D ;D
You couldn't make it up!

valmarg

• Hectare
Re: the pleasures of an allotment!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 21:53:13 »
I'm trying not to sound too bitter, but in the ST!0 area of the country there are no allotments,  The local allotments were sold off by the council to provide 'affordable housing.'  They have no money to buy land to provide allotments for the people who are asking for them. ??? ??? ???We are in a very high council tax area, with no possibility of getting allotments.  It really is disheartening.

valmarg

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 22:02:52 »
We've had asparagus soup twice this week...  :)

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 19:51:17 »
Hi Valmarg, I thought there was some ancient law that if a certain number of people ask for an allotment the local authority has to provide them?I'll ask some of the more informed folk down the lottie tomorrow.You too should be able to taste your own asparagus we planted some a couple of years ago and while we dare i say prefer cabbage :o it's lovely to give away to special friends
sanity is overated

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 20:12:52 »
I've just looked on our allotment website which quoted 1908 allotment act re provision of allotments i googled said act and it said (buried in jargon) that where six people(who are council tax payers )request an allotment where none are provided the council has to do something about it.I'm sure it's not as simple as that but i'm sure i've heard the six people thing before so it might be worth you making a few enquiries with some like minded people. Best of luck :)
sanity is overated

zigzig

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 21:39:28 »
We have above 70 people on our waiting list.

It takes SIX to form a group to make the council provide them with a site (under the law)

We tell every one when they ask to get on the list that we will pass on thier details, with their permission. We will also guide them through the law to get a new site.

Knowing that they will get virgin land that needs to be worked at. Not one agreed. They all want to have the ready made plots which we, who have done the work, have developed.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 21:48:35 »
We have not had council allotments here for 30 years.  When there are six on the list the council have to try to find a usable site,  I understand that there is not any sort of time scale for them to actually achieve this.  They have been looking here for a long time. 

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 18:58:08 »
Valmarg,So pleased that we don't live in your area. As the others have said the law does say that when there are enough people wanting an allotment then the council have to provide them. In the current climate I would have thought that a fair few people would want an allotment
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

Pesky Wabbit

• Hectare
  • Where's my(palm oil free)KRAFT choclit Easter Egg?
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 16:19:19 »
Macmac is perfectly correct ...

...  where six people(who are council tax payers )request an allotment where none are provided the council has to do something about it. 

The trouble is that many people are misinterpreting the "do something about it" bit.

Does anyone know ANY council that do things without assessments, consultation papers, meetings etc.

People are getting confused between "required to provide" and "required to look into".

Council timetables are something completely different. I'm no councilor, but I'm sure they're much more concerned with the state of road/paths, the local crime rate, fly tipping, policing, libraries, parks, refuse collection, etc, etc than allotments.

It doesn't mean that allotment wannabes are unheard or ignored, but they have to wait for their chance at the budget, which in this day and age is very slim.

I have no evidence, but, I would think councils are more likly to close allotments down for re-development, than to open a new one up.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 18:36:32 »
thought this was an asparagus thread  ;D

flossy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 19:23:50 »

It was manics, it was ---    ;D

floss xxx
Hertfordshire,   south east England

macmac

• Hectare
  • weston super mare
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 22:09:51 »
sorry manicscousers & flossy i took this down another route ::)
back to asparagus for lunch we had rissotto with asparagus ,peas,baby carrots &mangetout all fresh from the lottie yum :) :) :)
sanity is overated

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 22:18:37 »
They do have to provide... but there is NO TIMESCALE....
and what's an Asparagus thread... some sort of intestinal worm?  :o

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 22:34:48 »
thought this was an asparagus thread  ;D

Ooops, and there was me thinking it was a thread about allotments. ??? ???

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal