Author Topic: Fruit canes/bushes - a few questions  (Read 1208 times)

Limousin Lass

• Not So New ...
Fruit canes/bushes - a few questions
« on: June 06, 2009, 06:33:07 »
Went to the garden centre yesterday for some gloves and came home with 3 raspberry canes, a thornless blackberry,  a gooseberry,  a myrtle, and 2 rhubarb.  ::) all very healthy looking plants and being sold at 50% discount.

The problem is that we are slowly clearing our bramble. nettle and broom jungle and don't have the space cleared yet for a fruit garden.  Will they be OK until the autumn if I repot then into larger pots  and bury them fairly close together in a small area?
What sort of spacing do they need so that I can work out how much clearing I am going to have to do?

Also found some raspberry canes in amongst the jungle, would the best time be to move them in the autumn.  How much of a root system do they have?

thifasmom

• Hectare
  • Growing my own, rocks!!! Maidstone, Kent.
    • Kella's Creative Wishes: Handmade Jewellery & Lots more.
Re: Fruit canes/bushes - a few questions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 01:12:48 »
bumped to get you an answer as it was on the second page.

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 10:04:19 »
I didn't get my raspberries planted last year and had to leave them heeled in along with Blackcurrants and also gooseberries in pots. Both the black currants and the gooseberries survived but only 1 raspberry cane out of 10 survived. It might work better if the canes are in individual pots.

Limousin Lass

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 06:23:48 »
Thank you thifasmom and Kea,  I have re-potted them into individual 10" pots and am now waiting for a break in the weather to pop them into the ground.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal