Author Topic: fox vandalism  (Read 22465 times)

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
Re: fox vandalism
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2009, 10:47:44 »
Straight urine does kill sensitive plants, one of my scouts who was doing a small holding badge decided he'd do some extra curricular activities with his friends and add to my plot by peeing on it.  Youth of today :(  All my tomatoes died.

Mix it up with water and it makes a fine fertiliser.

Neat does deter foxes - I used to have them digging constantly in my raised no-dig bed but no more with the urine down.  About 6mths ago they asked me why the foxes weren't digging mine over, so I told them, they all do it, no fox invasion.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 11:14:49 »
I dont know where you get these strange ideas from!

I'll tell you where I get these strange ideas from. I do not read books, I look carefully at everything that happens in my locality. It's a pity you do not do the same.  Always bleating on about what others do and others say.

Stale pee is not the same as fresh, and watered down is not the same as fresh, and tipping concoctions on the soil is not the same as pissing on the foliage.

Quite how you can do research without observation is beyond me

It's beyond me too but people doing research usually have a result to achieve before they start rather than an open objective. BarriedaleNick you keep on telling me what others do and others say and defend their position doggedly but you seem to have done nothing yourself and seem to have lost track of the thread which is deterring foxes from digging holes on the plot. Foxes have long learnt to live in close association with humans and human presence just means another food opportunity. They totally ignore our smell.

tim_n

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 11:38:37 »

I'll tell you where I get these strange ideas from. I do not read books, I look carefully at everything that happens in my locality. It's a pity you do not do the same.  Always bleating on about what others do and others say.

Stale pee is not the same as fresh, and watered down is not the same as fresh, and tipping concoctions on the soil is not the same as pissing on the foliage.

It's beyond me too but people doing research usually have a result to achieve before they start rather than an open objective. BarriedaleNick you keep on telling me what others do and others say and defend their position doggedly but you seem to have done nothing yourself and seem to have lost track of the thread which is deterring foxes from digging holes on the plot. Foxes have long learnt to live in close association with humans and human presence just means another food opportunity. They totally ignore our smell.

I don't know where you get your strange ideas from.  I read books, listen to other peoples experiences, watch and learn from them rather than critising about things I clearly have no idea about.

Not entirely sure how you describe 'open objective' I think 'stopping foxes from digging holes in my allotment' is the objective and it's fairly closed.

You come from NW london where your situation is very much different compared to my own plot, which sits directly next to farmers fields where foxes have much less contact with humans.

If you've nothing to add except ill founded critism don't comment at all - you certainly don't believe in science so I don't know how you base your facts.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2009, 12:51:28 »

So you don't read books, you don't believe in science, you don't listen to other peoples' views and anyone who doesn't agree seems to be treated with contempt.
Personally I'll continue "to bleat on" about what other people have to say because to me that is the very purpose of sites like this - to share information and to learn from other people.  What are we here for if not to benefit from indirect experience
I will take my books, my experience, my learning from others and my science and I'll weigh that against your opinion based on your experience and just take my chances. I think I'll get by.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 16:40:51 »
All I said was mark your territory by weeing everywhere. If it works it works, if it don't it don't. I had no intention of starting a row.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 18:23:24 »
Plot 69 you didn't start the row, you came up with an idea that works for quite a few people, so why do people have to start an arguement and get personal on every subject the comes up lately, I'm getting pretty fucked off with the constant bickering and abuse and its no wonder people can't be bothered to come on here much these days.     >:( >:( >:(
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 18:31:07 »
Plot 69 you didn't start the row, you came up with an idea that works for quite a few people, so why do people have to start an arguement and get personal on every subject the comes up lately, I'm getting pretty fucked off with the constant bickering and abuse and its no wonder people can't be bothered to come on here much these days.     >:( >:( >:(

apologies for going off topic and you are right. Sorry if I added to the bickering - back to veg talk

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 18:51:41 »
  I'm getting pretty fucked off with the constant bickering and abuse

I enjoy reading and taking part in this forum far too much to get involved in slagging matches. Which is why I didn't respond when I was called a "Numpty".

Numpty I may be, but sad, rude and offensive? I like to think not.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

ber77tie

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 21:16:31 »
When I started this thread I didn't realise it would cause so much controversy.I must say I've really enjoyed reading ALL the different ideas .That's what I like about the site.I'm still heading towards the urine solution------unless there's anymore ideas???

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 21:28:21 »
I'm still heading towards the urine solution------unless there's anymore ideas???

I have heard that women's tights filled with human hair works. Hang them at various places around the plot. Problem is getting some numpty to let you shave his head and then getting another numptyess to drop her drawers for you  ::)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 21:50:07 »
I'm still heading towards the urine solution------unless there's anymore ideas???

I have heard that women's tights filled with human hair works. Hang them at various places around the plot. Problem is getting some numpty to let you shave his head and then getting another numptyess to drop her drawers for you  ::)

I may have been down the pub but I  ;D at that

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2009, 16:39:31 »
I've been pisssing on my path for 5/6 days now and the fox hasn't been near there, time will tell,                                                                                                       I think he's pissed off.      ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

ber77tie

• Half Acre
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 14:28:04 »
Started my urine experiment last night.The only trouble is it didn't go far----I will have to drink a lot more!will let you know how I get on deterring the foxes.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 14:53:11 »
Whilst foxes live in urban areas and are used to humans being around - there is a great difference if the humans "mark their territory" as the fox does, and the normal "smell of humans".

It is an animal thing which - thankfully - humans don't do very often!!!

If I had a problem with a fox - since I can't get Renardine any more - I would use this to see if it worked - which I expect it will as it is an animal territorial mark - as we have seen on TV when lions and tigers do the same thing!

Good luck with your problem anyway!

Old Bird
 ;)

shirlton

• Hectare
  • west midlands
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 18:12:52 »
You wanna watch it Kev or you'll be had up for indecent exposure ;D
When I get old I don't want people thinking
                      "What a sweet little old lady"........
                             I want em saying
                    "Oh Crap! Whats she up to now ?"

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 22:16:28 »
I make sure no ones watching Shirl, mind you I did have a nasty experience with a stinging nettle once, but thats a different storey.      :o     ;D ;D ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2009, 04:54:46 »
You come from NW london

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Silly boys.

While you are all thinking you are smart by lowering yourselves to the level of an animal, I've watched the foxes and outsmarted them. They now walk happily along the designated pathways past my plot to dig holes elsewhere.

Finally, direct observation coupled with an understanding of what has been seen is of more value than all the pages of the entire Internet put together.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2009, 20:57:42 »
U out foxed them then.  ???     ;D ;D ;D

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot