Author Topic: Grass cutter/trimmer  (Read 1449 times)

Psi (Pronounced 'Si'!)

• Acre
  • Welcome to the jungle!
Grass cutter/trimmer
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:28:54 »
All

I need to maintain paths around my plot but dont want to invest in an expensive strimmer.  Does anyone have any ideas on what there is on the market to do the job?  I realise I will need to cut the paths say every fortnight.  All ideas welcomed.

Psi

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
Re: Grass cutter/trimmer
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:58:15 »
We've got two, both cordless, one a Challenge from Argos, the other a Black & Decker.  Both cheap and cheerful, when they eventually give up I will consider getting a better quality petrol one.
The Tuscan Beaneater

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
Re: Grass cutter/trimmer
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 19:52:27 »
I used to use one of those old push cylinder mowers, but it doesn't really like stones on the path.  You might be able to pick one up locally.  One allotmenteer on our site uses a modern push mower, but its wheels are on the edge and you can only really do the middle of the path.  I paid £100 for my second hand stihl and that was a good investment.

Other options are doing away with grass.  Not an option I'd go for because I like the traditional grass paths, but gravel or bark chippings are options.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal