Author Topic: arghhh whay cant I grow carrots!!  (Read 4740 times)

coznbob

• Hectare
  • Hastings
Re: arghhh whay cant I grow carrots!!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2009, 12:24:04 »
Yep,

Slugs are my nemesis too when it comes to carrots, can get them germinate, but can't keep them.

Have had some sucess with growing them at home in pots, can do night time nasty checks, anything I find gets flung over the fence, but think they are making their way back home... :P.
Smile at your enemies.

It makes them wonder what you are up to.

Magnolia

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2009, 12:55:00 »
thought it was just me.  will try sowing in tubs at home and see how I get on.  Managed tiny ones this way last year.

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 14:08:31 »
PSI,
I have mine in raised beds and they are coming along a treat.
But as stated previously the slugs have tried without success due to me putting down a combination of egg shells and soot around the edge of the bed so as they dont get through.

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2009, 16:40:58 »
right I will have one more go, in pots and im going to try the seed tape stuff, then no thining needed and I will be able to see that they ar eplanted to the right depth etc.

gibbonm

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2009, 00:10:51 »
I had good results this year with pre-germinated seeds.  sowed them on damp kitchen paper covered in cling film to keep them moist.  Put them in a dark place in the house and put them in the ground when a small root showed from each seed.

They all came away for a while.... then the slugs got about half of them.   So I'll do the same thing next year but get more beer traps, copper tape, blue pellets etc etc on guard around them.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2009, 08:24:49 »
Put mine on the window sill germinated nicely.  I put down organic slug killer before putting the seeds in teh ground.  Also fertized with Blood Fish and bone I do not think the slugs like that very much.  I also have been trying watering in the morning and not in the evening so the soil is dry before night fall.  I have wooden walkways round the carrots and I lift these daily (well often) and kill the slugs.  I do not like doing this but the remains disappear every night so I content myself with feeling that I am feeding something.  Hopefully it is not more slugs.

Better carrots than for a long time this year.  Last year I had an almost complete wipe out. Meanwhile at my slug free world at the allotment the carrots are growing like weeds with no effort required.

grannyjanny

• PMs
  • Hectare
  • Lives in Cheshire. Light sandy soil. Loves no dig.
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 08:39:08 »
Digeroo are you troubled with the dreaded carrot fly? It's rife on our site so we've put up some enviromesh.
Janet

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 13:28:56 »
Just thought I would share my joy. My carrots have started growing, over a month since planting them, they have all started popping up. Sure enough when I checked over at the abandoned allotment they have started growing in the bed there too from over 2 months ago! Seems they just took a while to start!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 13:51:18 »
Great!!

Its nice to see something popping up.

But keep an eye out for the slugs.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 15:18:32 »
Carrot fly normaly get most of mine.     :'(       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Mr Smith

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2009, 15:30:45 »
This year before I planted any carrots I prepared the ground to a good fine tilth that had not been manured only a little top dressing, I then planted between the rows of carrots several chives and touch wood up to now I have not seen any carrot fly on the ones  I have pulled, :)

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2009, 15:42:32 »
This year before I planted any carrots I prepared the ground to a good fine tilth that had not been manured only a little top dressing, I then planted between the rows of carrots several chives and touch wood up to now I have not seen any carrot fly on the ones  I have pulled, :)

Its usualy the case that they turn up after you have pulled them. Hope not tho
When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal