Author Topic: Beans in baskets  (Read 1312 times)

Inky

• Quarter Acre
Beans in baskets
« on: June 17, 2009, 13:30:14 »
On the recomendation from a collegue, to save space Im going to put my french beans in hanging baskets and have them climb over my pergola. Any idea on hiw many plants I should put in per basket?

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Re: Beans in baskets
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 15:28:18 »
On the recomendation from a collegue, to save space Im going to put my french beans in hanging baskets and have them climb over my pergola. Any idea on hiw many plants I should put in per basket?

1 or 2 per unless it's a huge basket and rig some autowatering..... beans are thirsty plants, if you grow a climber in there it'll need as much water as a cordon tomato...or nearly.... If they're a climber why not grow them in pots adn climb from the floor.....

chrisc

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 15:38:15 »
They are a Dwarf veriety, Purple Teepee. Im trying to save on valuble floor space! Plud my pergola is very bare so would be nice to have something climbing on it!

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 16:10:46 »
If they're dwarfs they won't really climb.... ??? I'm confused now.....

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 16:15:37 »
If you want something climbing up a pergola what about runner beans they have more attractive flowers - red, white  or pink.  Will climb up really quickly.   Not sure they would like the basket.

Inky

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 16:28:08 »
If they're dwarfs they won't really climb.... ??? I'm confused now.....

Well wont really need to climb as the baskets will be almost level with top of pergola so they can just sort of 'lay' on top of it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal