Author Topic: Is it too late to sow sweetcorn?  (Read 1168 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Is it too late to sow sweetcorn?
« on: June 05, 2009, 13:38:10 »
My sweetcorn that I transplanted to the garden isn't doing so well. I wondered if it was too late to sow more? I think I have a variety called "swift"...
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
Re: Is it too late to sow sweetcorn?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 14:07:04 »
Not too late at all. Its the perfect time to sow direct into the ground. Good luck!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 15:21:19 »
I sowed direct on Monday and hope to sow again tomorrow after germination failure indoors.  :'(       ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 15:30:43 »
This weeks amateur gardener has a piece on just that - sowing sweetcorn succesionally with the last sowing this week for cropping in september, they recommended a short season variety though such as swift.
Best laid plans and all that

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 16:37:19 »
Oh well, as that is my variety I will try some direct sowing and hope nothing eats them!! Maybe I should cover them until they get going??
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 16:39:11 »
i would say  depends where you live but its a wee bit late as they need to ripen in the sun
i don't belive death is the end

FennelandFern

• Half Acre
    • Fennel & Fern
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 16:44:50 »
I only direct sowed mine last week, and they're just germinating now. Should be fine...
www.fennelandfern.co.uk

Have a look at the Good Growing Guide - free downloadable gardening advice: www.fennelandfern.co.uk/grow

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal