Author Topic: cabbage and broccoli  (Read 1470 times)

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
cabbage and broccoli
« on: June 02, 2009, 09:44:57 »
I have been growing them in pots in the greenhouse until last week and planted them out. Treated them with slug pellets and everything was fine then they seem to have been got at. The ends of the leaves turned pale and some have been eaten. could this be catapillers as i haven't seen any this year apart from hairy ones in Northumberland last week on holiday

daileg

• Hectare
Re: cabbage and broccoli
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 10:27:34 »
sounds to me as you never hardend them off properly they should recover keep the wind off them and make sure ther firmly in the ground as brassicas like a very firm ground best walked all over the soil before planting out also try and harden them off for at least a week outside if they have come from the greenhouse all be it had the breeze in there but they need the stems to toughen up or they droop and the leaves will go a little yellow

stay with them try and protect them over the nect few days with some fleece as the temp is going to drop will need it 

landimad

• Hectare
  • Me wheels have gone again. Northants UK
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:39:29 »
Got mine under the fleece until they get a lot bigger.
Last year they all got the dreaded catapillar dinner plate syndrome.
All eaten and not a plant left in site.
So far they are all ok fingers x x x' d

Got them back now to put some tread on them

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 14:27:53 »
I have been growing them in pots in the greenhouse until last week and planted them out..............The ends of the leaves turned pale

Did you harden them off?

they seem to have been got at. ..............some have been eaten.

You can put all the slug pellets dow you want but it won't stop the birds (pigeons in particular)......Netting is the answer!

This little slide show may help you in future!

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Brassica%20planting/brassica%20planting.html

Maidenheadtaff

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 15:12:16 »
Next time i'll get it right

thanks

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal