Author Topic: fleas  (Read 2535 times)

sarah

• Hectare
fleas
« on: June 05, 2009, 09:34:43 »
o no. my cats seem to have fleas.

i frontline them every six weeks with frontline from the vet but last night a couple of small fleas jumped onto my foot from the carpet and this morning i have found a few bigger fleas on the cat.

i thought the frontline would keep the fleas away but maybe i have been naive/ complacent.

we dont seem to be infested yet (arg!) but i know how quickly these things can escalate if left unsorted.

i applied a fresh batch of frontline last night and have brushed as much as i can (they only tolerate short periods of combing and brushing).

what should i do next in terms of damage limitation or treatment?

sesible and well meaning replies please, not "shoot/creosote the cat" variety. thanks  :)

betula

• Hectare
Re: fleas
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 09:39:33 »
Use the vacuum cleaner daily.On the floor not the cats ;You can buy sprays that you can use round the skirting boards.

Wash bedding regularly. :)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 09:41:43 »
I frontline my cat every 4 weeks, think 6 weeks is too long in this hot weather.  I found that you can order frontline from the Cat Gallery without having to go to the vet and it is cheaper.  Will find you the address if you wish.  Last time we had fleas in the house, I cleaned, hoovered, washed, scrubed etc but still had fleas jumping about, especially at night.  Got one in my cup of tea once.  In the end had to get the house sprayed, the stuff is quite strong as have to stay out all day and keep cat out, but it did work.  I think the Council will do it if you pay, but may have to wait, or else private man.  Good luck, it is enough to put one off cats although I have always had them.

Hector

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 09:53:50 »
I'd be interested in Cat Gallery link. I use Frontline and it works well. However, I find my cat still gets hem on him when he kills rabbits but they don't seem to stay alive after the kill date.
Jackie

• Hectare
  • And all that ..... in Hastings
    • Promenade Plantings
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 09:56:09 »
I'm also interested so searched and found this -
http://www.thecatgallery.co.uk/acatalog/For_Your_Cat_Health_and_Welfare.html

I presume this is what Borlotti uses?

Unwashed

• Hectare
  • Vexatious, moi?
    • Simon on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:57:39 »
I'm not sure that Frontline actually repells fleas as such, so unless your cats are house cats they're going to be bringing some in on their coats from time to time.  Having said that, it's years since I've even seen a flea on my dogs and I find Frontline very effective at controlling ticks.  Manufacturer says it keeps fleas under control for 3 months on cats I believe, though we dose every months for ticks.
An Agreement of the People for a firm and present peace upon grounds of common right

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 13:03:40 »
Found the catalogue, after searching the whole house.  They have just started selling it, previously one had to get it from the vet.  It is Frontline, 6 pippettes for £19.50.  It says one months protection, so I do it every first day of the month. I found it works, and it says for the treatment and prevention of flea and tick infestations and the control of biting lice.  I have a catalogue from the Cat Gallery, in York.  Tel: 01094 413000, very nice man answered the phone to me and we had a long conversation about fleas!!!!! and packet arrived next day.  Hid the catalogue as they have some tempting stuff in their for cat lovers and I don't want to spend any money at present.

lewic

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 13:20:40 »
When I had a cat I found that Frontline would only work for a couple of weeks rather than a month, and the poor thing used to scratch his head until it bled sometimes, leaving bald patches round his ears. Then I found this stuff called Program, which you put in their food, and it was fantastic. It doesnt immediately kill the fleas but disrupts their breeding cycle, and is less harmful to the cat than pesticides. You give it to them once every 6 months - job done. No more scratching, no more bald spots, and kitty didnt smell of chemicals!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001ISP0B2/dooyoocouk-21/ref=asc_df_B001ISP0B2367965 and

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 13:33:39 »
thanks for all the replies; lots of interesting info. i will give that catalogue a look borlotti and will dose them four weekly rather than six and will investigate the programme stuff too lewic.  i am hoping the frontline i put on them last night will nip it in the bud. fingers crossed! 

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 14:14:15 »
I think, if I remember rightly, the vet can inject against fleas and it lasts 6 months was quite expensive.  I am not sure if you can still use the Frontline monthly with that.  Best thing is to ring the vet to ask for advice.  I had two cats, only one now, and my old cat used to go next door to visit their cat and go in their house.  I used to buy the Frontline and give some to my neighbour as was fed up with the flea problem, don't bite me, but would attack visitors (very embarassing).  Good luck

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal