Author Topic: Tomato with yellow leaves  (Read 1972 times)

anemone

• Half Acre
Tomato with yellow leaves
« on: May 25, 2009, 22:23:58 »
My tomatoes have all turned yellow with spots on  :(  Do they have a chance of recovering or do I need to throw them all away??

The plants -

I tried a closeup of the leaves -

ajb

• Half Acre
    • My garden blog
Re: Tomato with yellow leaves
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 22:30:46 »
Oh! My gardeners delight have the same brown speckles as those - they're outside next to Glacier and Legend which are both currently perfect.  Don't know what it is, assumed it was the bad weather :S - maybe if it's something bad I should be moving them away.
No fruit tree knowingly left un-tried. http://abseeds.blogspot.com/

springbok

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 22:52:39 »
I had that last year, and if I remember correctly it was needing some kind of food..... could be wrong.... maybe should wait for an expert :D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 23:00:43 »
It looks like tomato blight.  Brown patches on leaves fruit and tubers, caused by a fungus that thrives in warm, wet weather.  Treatment is to spray with copper based fungicide but yours seem very contaminated.  They mat still recover but your plants will be working twice as hard - trying to recover and at the same time trying to produce fruit.  It is best to water indoor tomatoes from the base of the plant.   
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 23:03:42 »
Notoriously difficult to be certain but it looks like calcium deficiency to me. Probably a result of over-watering or irregular watering. There's normally plenty of calcium in the compost but if you pot them on and reduce the watering, you should see an improvement in the plants.

Edit - Blight tends to look darker brown IMHO and the tips of the leaves don't dry out the same. Like I said, it's notoriously difficult to be sure. The purple underside also points to stress rather than disease.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 23:06:44 by djbrenton »

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 23:37:17 »
I have been guilty of overwatering them (and the cucumbers :() I had thought i was rectifying this but they have gotten worse with less watering.  I have no idea why I left the affected leaves on so long, aargh I really should've removed them when I first noticed them. So tonight I finally removed all the bad leaves (it really didn't leave many on some plants), would it help to re-pot them on as well?

reddyreddy

• Hectare
  • Everybody dies but not everybody lives...
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 07:43:32 »
some of my toms have yellow leaves like this too, I assumed it was a water/scorch issue.  :'(

davyw1

• Hectare
  • I love My Country
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 07:45:13 »
It could be one of two things.
If the discoloration started on the lower leaves and worked its way upwards and some of the yellow blotches are turning brown also if the yellowing is between the veins then its Magnisium difficiency, which is made worse by normal feeding not better .  Spray with epson salts Half an onz to a pint of water or a spray containing Magnesium.
The seconed is a virus which i don,t think it is as none of the stems are affected if it was blight then there would be blackend patchs on the stems blight also starts wirh brown areas on the edges od the leaves

When you wake up on a morning say "good morning world" and be grateful

DAVY

wattapain

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 07:52:55 »
they also look a bit 'leggy' and crowded - maybe they need a bit more space and light?

Try moving them outside for a bit to get some airas well as all the other advice.
Never know, might be worth a try.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 08:53:31 »
we have some like this on the 'swaps' table, they could do with re-potting, up to the bottom leaves and given an epsom feed, the compost has ran out of goodness, maybe that's the problem?

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 09:34:00 »
What manics said.

They are very resilient, as soon as they find some goodness they'll green up and recover in no time.  :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

anemone

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 23:17:58 »
Thanks for the hope, I thought I'd be told to bin them all !

It did start on the lower leaves, the tops are the ones that are still okay. They are already outside (the shelving has no cover in the back yard).

I don't have enough big pots to repot all of them though - would it be a step too far to plant them in the ground up to the bottom leaves before feeding them?

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 16:48:42 »
Nope, that's probably what I would do.
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal